We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gruyeres train station

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
gruyeres train station

We are planining to visit Gruyeres Cheese factory, we will take the train from Montreux to Montbovon & change to Gruyeres station, I understand Gruyeres station is stop on request, meaning I need to press button near the train door for stopping. How about waiting at Gruyeres station, where can we press button at the Gruyeres station to stop the train.

Thanks for the help.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gruyeres train station

Hi jastang,

I'm not sure where you've heard this, but that doesn't sound right to me. I've never had to request a stop; the train has always stopped there.

Maybe some others will be able to clear this up!

s

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gruyeres train station

Never heard that either. However in the Haut Valais there are "stops on request" and there is a button to push at the station to request the train stop.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gruyeres train station

Gruyeres station is not a request stop.

Go to the SBB website and look for a sample schedule for trains from Montbovon to Gruyeres. Click on the + below one of the numbers on the left to show details of the connection and then click on the route information below the symbol of a train. If you then scroll down there is a list of the request stops at the bottom of the page.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gruyeres train station

Thanks everyone for the answer.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gruyeres train station

Gruyeres is not a request stop. Some of the very small stations along the narrow gauge line are, but Gruyeres is not one of them. Having said that, I had an extremely large smile on my face the time I did go to one of the request stops - a tiny little shed in the middle of a field. I pressed the button and we came to a stop. The power!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gruyeres train station

Hi

We plan to visit Gruyeres village for 3hours & further to Moleson-sur-Gruyeres for 3hours & back to montreux during winter in Jan.

My question is

Is too rush for us to visit 2 places in a day? and

We hope to have sometime for sledging near Moleson..

Btw, we are not sure any sledging in Moleson & not sure how to go, please help Thanks.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gruyeres train station

If your entire trip is supposed to take 6 hours you will have no time in either place. On the other hand if you plan to spend three hours in each and add to that the time to get there and back it is OK.

Have you done any sledding before? If you haven't be aware that you will need to rent a sled and then find a slope to use it on (usually easy slopes near the village). If you plan to use a lift you will need lift tickets. Also you need to have proper clothese - waterproof anorak, pants, hat, gloves etc as well as good waterproof boots. (Snow gets very wet when you roll around in it and when sledding this is often what you do!!)

If on the other hand you mean you plan to take the Moléson "Bob-Luge" this is a ride and you need no experience at all....a sled like thing runs downhill on a track. you most likely (hopefully!) won't fall off this one either!!

You won't be able to get the schedules for the transport there and back on the CFF website until November this year but basically you take a train from Montreux to Montbovon, change there for the light rail train to Gruyères and from there jsut take a postbus to Moléson.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gruyeres train station

Sledging in Moleson is very easy, as there is a designated sledge run of 4 km and you can hire the sledges at the top of the funicular. The funicular station is visible from the bus stop. You can get a special ticket from the funicular station which includes the funicular and the sledge hire (I think you get a number of goes on the same ticket) The sledge run goes down from the top of the funicular to the bottom.

www.moleson.ch/rubrique/glisse/luge/?lang=en

You cannot guarantee that there will be snow, as Moleson (like all the local mountains) are at or below 2000m. However, January is usually a good month for snow. Be sure to also take the cable car up to the top of Moleson for great views on a clear day.

I don't think it's too rushed to visit the two places in the same day, as long as you factor in travel time.

The bus to Moleson village goes from the bus stop right behind Gruyeres station. You get off the train, walk out of the back of the station (very tiny station) and there is the stop. For planning purposes on www.rail.ch the stop you want to go to is called Moleson-sur-Gruyeres.

I agree that you need to wear good clothes for sledging - but you can make up an outfit out of various things (if you don't have ski clothes). You need to be waterproof and warm. Wear ankle high hiking boots with thick socks, buy some cheap waterproof overtrousers from an outdoor shop or from Ebay (these crunch up small in your luggage), put these over thick trousers (like cords, or at a pinch jeans with tights on underneath), wear layers on top and put a plastic raincoat over the whole thing. Gloves, a hat and a scarf complete the ensemble. Bring sunglasses in case it is a bright day, as the snow glare can be painful. You may look a bit silly, but you will be warm.

Have fun, but if you are going with children, prepare them for the fact that you cannot be absolutely sure that the sledge run will be open as it depends on snow conditions.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gruyeres train station

Thank you so much Hambagahle & NWL for providing me the detailed information.

Hi Hambagahle,

Yes , we did 2 sledging before, Zermatt,Rotenboden & Lucern, Mount Rigi, view was stunning & we love it so much. We like to try sledging in different mountain area.

Also, thinking of Velogemel in Grindelwald which we never try before, is same as sledging?

Hi NorthWestLondoner

Thank for telling us the location of the bus stop & it really help us save time for searching it.

We will be travelling end January & hope the sledge run will be ready...

Edited: 9:44 am, April 19, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gruyeres train station

Hi Hi Hambagahle,

Thank you so much for the detailed information.

Yes , we did 2 sledging before, Zermatt,Rotenboden & Lucern, Mount Rigi, view was stunning & we love it so much. We like to try sledging in different mountain area.

Also, thinking of Velogemel in Grindelwald , which we never try before, is Velogemel is same as sledging?

Thanks