We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
57 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

We are going to the chocolate factory and the cheese factory. We are wondering if it's worth it to see the castle in Gruyeres, or should we go and see the Chillon castle instead? I understand that'd add 1/2 day but from the pictures on websites the Chillon castle seems more impressive. Opinions?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

Hi julia hiker,

It may be useful to give your full itinerary here, so everyone will know exactly what you'll be doing before and after. For instance, it's helpful to know that you'll have spent a night in Geneva and be going on to Gimmelwald. So, I (personally!!) would sacrifice the night in Geneva and spend it in Montreux -- then see Gruyeres enroute, on the Golden Pass route.

Hope to see some other good ideas!

s

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

The Chillon castel is very impressive. There is also a castle at Gruyère you can visit. In fact you should not miss to visit the little town of Gruyère as you are there. For me I would prefer this option, as there is more to see.

Pore

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
57 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

Yes, thanks, Swandav. We are flying into Geneva and just resting/walking around the first day. The next day we are planning on the chocolate factory, cheese factory, and perhaps the castle. From there, we were trying to decide whether to hop on the train(s) and go straight to Gimmelwald OR instead go to Montreaux and spend the night. If that's the case, we'd spend the next half day exploring Chillon castle and then go to Gimmelwald. So there you have it--any suggestions?

Cyberspace
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

I like Swanday's advice and would consider following her proposal. Imo both castles are well worth a visit but myself I'm a huge castle fan and don't mind visiting 2 castles in a short period of time.

But if you're not a castle "freak" I think one is enough besides the other planed visits you mentioned and so I'd definitely chose Chateau de Chillon over Gruyeres. It's such an impressive castle and the most popular one in Switzerland too!

If you're also really interested in Chillon's history I'd recommend to book a guide in advance. Check the website for infos:

http://www.chillon.ch/en/

Btw, from Chillon to Gruyeres it's only about 1.5 hours by train.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

This is a bit tricky. In my opinion Chateau de Chillon is more dramatic and impressive. However, the Chateau in Gruyeres feels more intimate and is very beautiful. For me, Chateau de Chillon always draws me back, but I also know those who prefer Gruyeres. You can't really go wrong with either, so either go to both (they are different), or pick whichever draws you the most.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

Chillon has the more impressive architecture, is more interesting IMO. However, I don't think it is worth the time to see both. They are similar in some ways.

On the other hand, if it doesn't hurt you to deduct a day from Gimmelwald (which I don't like) then spend the night in Montreux and see Chillon as well. Completely different scenery from the Bernese Oberland and very beautiful.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
57 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

Thank you everybody. It's nice to hear all of your opinions!

8. Re: Gruyeres vs. Chillon castles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 20, 2009