We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

Russia
Level Contributor
104 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

Hi all !!! We are planninig to come to Crans Montana in early Jan 2009. The main problem is that none, including a 6 yrs old kid had ever tried to ski. Will be staying most probably at some appartment at Rue De verenel (sorry if misspell). quetsion to you the pro's :) - are we crazy ? will it be possible to have some studies at skiing etc. especialy with a kid. What if she doesn't like the mountain - will we have something else to do there ? Thanks to all !

Crans-Montana
Ski & Snowboard Areas, Visitor Centers
Avalanche Pro Shop
Gift & Specialty Shops, Gear Rentals, Ski & Snow Tours, Ski & Snowboard Areas
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

I don't see anything crazy about that. Crans-Montana is a big ski area with nice slopes also for beginners. January is a time with granted snow in places like this. As you are beginner ski lessions are a must, you can get a private instructor or I guess also classes in groups.

6 years is a typical age locals lern to ski and I guess there are classes for small kids. I cannot imagine that she doesn't like to play with others of her age in the snow!

<will we have something else to do there ?> many bars and restaurants, shops, spa, ice skating, other winter sports great view and the nearby town Sion with two great castels and much more.

Mentioned in this post
Sion
Sion
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

Hi, I suggest you go online and find exercises to use to get fit for skiing and involve your daughter in doing them, too. Skiing requires that you be fit - particularly in the "core" (the abdomen and back muscles) and the legs. You should start at least 3 months in advance to do the exercises so that you can enjoy lessons and skiing. If you don't do exercises, you will likely have many sore muscles and not enjoy it at all. The first two or three days are the worst and will be even harder if you don't arrive physically ready!

My 6 year old grandson loves skiing - we go as much as possible every winter. If you can, put her in the children's ski school because they use special techniques that make it even more fun for the children.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Istanbul
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

Hi all

I will go to Crans Montana next week. Are there anyone give me some advises about special meals ,wines,places in Crans Montana or near this place. Thank you.

Crans Montana
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

Make sure you visit the new LeCrans Hotel & Spa in the Plans-Mayens area. Absolutely breathtaking, the most luxurious hotel in the region. Also a great restaurant with the best view and terrasse...

Mentioned in this post
LeCrans Hotel & Spa
LeCrans Hotel & Spa
321 Reviews
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

Suspect. Apologies if the above is not an advert.

6. Re: Crans Montana (first timer and with kid !) - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:29 am, October 16, 2009