We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine tastings

Which Cochem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
wine tastings

Will be in Cochem Oct 30-1 Nov, any suggestions of a place to have a trading of local wine? Please take note if the dates we well be there not sure if this stops in off season times.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine tastings

I am interested in this information too. I will be in Cochem October 8-9, and going from there to Burg Eltz and to Koblenz. We are interested in wine tastings in Cochem or along our route because I hear that the wine is exceptional in this area. LIke dlanger, I am not sure whether October is the best time, but I'm hopeful!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine tastings

Hope someone answers

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine tastings

Obviously I haven't tried out any of these places, but I found some links online to possible wine tasting spots in Cochem. Can anyone comment on them?

www.moselweingut-ring.de/en/wine-tasting.html

http://haxel.de/?page_id=49

www.weingut-rademacher.de/de/kellerei.shtml

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g198637-d3…

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine tastings

I just got back from my trip, and had good luck with wine tastings at Walter J. Oster (last link above). I tried to find the place on the first link, but couldn't find it, but we popped in a random wine shop, which also allowed us to taste some wine (we purchased a couple bottles). I enjoyed the wine at Walter J. Oster best, but I only tried two places, plus some wine at lunch.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine tastings

I guess this message will be too late for most people posting here, but I was in Cochem last month, after trekking to Burg Eltz. I came across a wine cellar called J. Koll, on Pinnestrasse, on the road heading to the station, and spent a rather enjoyable hour or so sampling local wines. The host was friendly and keen to share his extensive knowledge of his product. Definitely learned a lot about wines. Did a similar tasting in Bacharach the day after, and that wasnt as good.

Although I didnt get to see the actual cellars in Koll's, I got a few extra glasses of wine thrown into the tasting. Originally, the tasting was supposed to sample about 7-9 wines for about Eur 8 or so, I must have tried about 11. Found a really tasty Hochgewachs, so I stocked up and went home happy.

As for Burg Eltz, in case your interested, I hiked from Moselkern station. Its about 5 km each way, 2.5 km is on reasonably good tarmaced roads/paths, then the path follows the river and was a mix of mud, wet leaves and rock. Took around about an hour to hike one way, but Eltz castle was definitely worth the walk.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wine tastings

I too, took the hike from Moselkern, it was fantastic. as you said about 5k, each way, it was well worth the trip. A highlight of our trip. We had a great day and the castle was icing on the cake. We didn't find many places along that route, but back in Cochem we found some good places, I need to go to my notes to get the names and post a trip review. Cochem and that region in general is soooooo underrated, shhhh! I want to go back!

7. Re: wine tastings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 21, 2014