We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cochem in November

Modesto, CA
9 posts
Cochem in November

I will be traveling to Germany in November this year. I have a few days in the Rhine River area and wanted to do a day trip to see the area around Cochem around November 21. I was wondering if restaurants and shops stay open this time of year. I would really appreciate any information.

10 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Cochem in November

You might be surprised to learn that 5.000 people actually live in Cochem and its immediate surroundings so of course shops (at least non-tourist shops) will be open. Those restaurants that normally open at lunchtime (and on your chosen day of the week) will in all probability be open too.

Modesto, CA
9 posts
2. Re: Cochem in November

Good to know. Thank you.

Germany
Level Contributor
833 posts
3. Re: Cochem in November

Which doesn't mean at all that there's any good reason to visit Cochem itself unless you're using it as transport hub. And even less so in November.

Modesto, CA
9 posts
4. Re: Cochem in November

We’re not set on Cochem but depending on the weather we would like to either see Burg Eltz Castle or go on to Trier. The weather will be a big factor in what we do but we want to have an idea of what towns have services available as well as transportation.

Shingle Springs...
Level Contributor
411 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: Cochem in November

I visited Cochem in April of 2015 and it was a nice town to visit with the Castle on the Hill.Burg Eltz is well worth the visit and it will be easier with a car.Trier has Roman Ruins and a Museum that is worth visiting.

Mike

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Cochem in November

Unless you have a car I would not bother with Burg Eltz that time of the year. Not worth the effort to just see it from the outside.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Cochem in November

Trier would be a much more interesting and lively destination than Cochem in November (and actually at any time of year), even though the Christmas Market doesn't start until November 23.

Modesto, CA
9 posts
8. Re: Cochem in November

If the weather is nice we will be looking for hiking/walking trails along the river with some of the best views. Any suggestions?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Cochem in November

There are roads along both sides of the river at Cochem (although the road on the right bank peters out eventually as you go downstream), you can walk on them but I wouldn't call them walking/hiking trails.

There is quite a nice trail that follows the Endertbach north from Cochem, follow Endertstraße from Cochem for a kilometre or so and turn off left past the Weißmühle hotel.

Modesto, CA
9 posts
10. Re: Cochem in November

Thanks for the recommendation.

Reply to: Cochem in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted