We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit to Boppard

Which Boppard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Erie, Pa
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
October visit to Boppard

My husband and I will flying into Frankfurt, landing early in the morning on Sept 30th to begin our tour of germany. We have decided to stay in Boppard for the first three nights. We want to visit at least a couple castles, as well enjoy a cruise along the Rhine and general sightseeing of the area.

I have a few questions that I would appreciate any feedback/recommendations:

1, Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel to stay in- taking into account we will be arriving by train from the airport.

2. Regarding visiting castles and a river cruise- which castles would be the "must see", and could you recommend how to perhaps incorporate taking a river cruise to get there (or back).

3. And finally, any recommendations regarding any restaurant/pub we should make sure to go to in Boppard.

Thank you advance for any info!!!

marty

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit to Boppard

1. You can use the map feature at most booking websites to see the distance to the train station. In Boppard many in the old town are within walking distance. The Ohm Patt gets good marks.

2. Cruise: best segment starts in Bingen and continues north to Boppard - so take the train south to Bingen Rhein Stadt station to begin your cruise and end it in Bingen. You can look at the cruise schedule to see whether a stopover in ST. Goar (Rheinfels Castle Ruins) is convenient by boat. But it's so easy to reach st. Goar by train from Boppard (direct, about 10 minutes) and the train offers so many return options that it's generally better not to fuss with cruise boat layover restrictions. The other castle is Marksburg in Braubach - excellent - and you can continue your cruise beyond Boppard to Braubach another 1/2 hour to get there. But again, you could go there another time by train via Koblenz too.

Note that you get a 20% cruise discount by flashing the train ticket you used to get to Bingen.

Train passes: If you plan any lengthy or multiple train trips in the area, the daypasses for the local trains make it easy and inexpensive. Details below on the VRM mini-group ticket and the Rheinland Pfalz ticket. Note that the VRM ticket is only good as far south as Oberwesel.

vrminfo.de/en/…

vrminfo.de/en/…

crowley,tx.
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit to Boppard

Martha,

If you buy a train pass it will include boat passage with the KD-line. I don't have any idea why you selected Boppard. I would have picked St. Goar or Bacharach.If you like wine a stop in Oberwesel is great. Oberwesel also has the castle Schonburg. It houses a hotel and restaurant. I had an apartment in Oberwesel for 2 weeks last October. If you any questions I will try to help you.

Erie, Pa
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit to Boppard

Can you expand on why you'd pick St. Goar over Boppard? I was considering St. Goar as well before I decided on Boppard. However, I wasn't necessarily sold on Boppard. My concerns would be- ease of arriving by train from frankfurt, ease of getting to hotel from train station, and the ease of taking a cruise and visiting some castles. I also want to be able to just leisurely stroll around the area I'm staying and be able to find a a couple nice spots (restaurant/pubs) to hang out at for lunch and/or dinner....

Thanks!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit to Boppard

Boppard vs. St. Goar:

Boppard is larger, has more to do and a greater variety of restaurants, wineries, etc. In St. Goar, you will run out of streets to wander down very quickly. St. Goar is located in a more scenic part of the river and is slightly more convenient by train for visiting Marksburg Castle (using the ferry to St. Goarshausen + the train takes a bit less time than using the train only from Braubach.) But Boppard has DIRECT RE trains to and from Frankfurt airport; you'll have to change trains to reach St. Goar from FRA. And even though Boppard is further north, it takes just as long to reach St. Goar (aabout 1.25 hours.)

I like both towns very much. I'll be spending 2 nights this May in Boppard again myself. But I would be equally gleeful about a couple of nights in St. Goar. You can't go wrong.

5. Re: October visit to Boppard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, April 01, 2014