We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stalag 9

Which Bad Orb hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stalag 9

Are you able to visit Stalag 9 while in Bad Orb?

6 replies to this topic
Frankfurt
Level Contributor
535 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stalag 9

The site of POW camp was a youth camp used by schools in the region for school outings. This is the case again today.

schullandheim-wegscheide.de/Inhalt/info.html (in German).

I am not sure how much there really is to see nowadays. According to the German Wikipedia entry, there is a graveyard in the woods, about 1km south of the Wegscheide.

You could try and email the Bad Orb tourist information. They might have more details.

bad-orb.info/Service-Kontakt/Ihre-Ansprechpa…

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stalag 9

My grandfather was a POW there, and I will be visiting in July! There is a guy who has done alot of research on stalag 9, his father was a POW there as well. Let me know if you want his info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stalag 9

Hi CookieLeeMichelle, my grandfather was also a POW at Stalag 9 during World War II. I will be visiting at the end of September. I was wondering how your trip went and if you have any advice to offer. I also would very much appreciate it if you could send me the information for the guy you referred to in your last post who has done a lot of research on Stalag 9.

I know that after being at Stalag 9 for awhile, my grandfather was transferred to Stalag IX-A Trutzhain in the territory of Ziegenhain. I don't know if yours was also. If so, did you visit there as well?

Thanks very much in advance for all of your help!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stalag 9

Lindsay, Yes I went to IXA in Trutzenhain in July (IXB in Bad Orb is no longer existing). I have so much info to share, and would love to send you my info and contact info for the Museum in Trutzenhain (and they are looking to find info of those POW held there!!). My email is michellecostonjohnson@gmail.com Email me and I can send you all the info and contact data. It was so moving, and the musuem a tribute to those held as POW. They will arrange a tour in English if you contact them in advance. It was well worth the time to make the trip! I look forward to hearing from you! Michelle Johnson

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stalag 9

Hello,

I'm looking for information on a American soldier, Private Victor Akimoto. He was a POW at Bad Orb and possibly Berga from about October 23, 1944 to December 14, 1944. He died at Bad Orb of sepsis. I'm looking for any details of his imprisonment, anyone who may have known Victor at this time, any doctor or medical person who was there at the time.

Thanks,

Matt

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stalag 9

I don't know where you would find that info other than thru possible military records (if there exist any) but there is a book written by Flint Whitlock, "Given Up for Dead, American GI's in the Nazi Concentration Camp at Berga". I bought it I think thru Abe Books. Bad Orb no longer exists, it's a German summer camp for kids, but someone at the area Chamber of Commerce (or like entity) suggested I purchase it when I was looking for info on Bad Orb where my grandfather was held. It is a good chronicle of that camp. The only stalag left is IXA, and most of their records were from prisoners held there. Good luck.

Reply to: Stalag 9
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bad Orb
Recent Conversations