We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hinterzarten in February 2009

dubai
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hinterzarten in February 2009

Hello, I am currently planning to visit Hinterzarten in Feb 2009. Can you advice what is good for sight seeing during that time? Should I include something else in Black Forest?

Regards

AG John

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hinterzarten in February 2009

Does your visit include the carnival week (Feb 20-24)? If yes, this is special in certain places in the Black Forest area and not to be missed!

dubai
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hinterzarten in February 2009

hi, no I didnt know about? is there a link i can view the details for this carnival?

thanks

agj

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hinterzarten in February 2009

Some places in the region have century-old and highly symbolic carnival traditions. The masks and costumes are simply amazing. You have to know when to be where, though, each place has one or two main days. I do not know what will be going on in Hinterzarten but I'd expect some activities there, too.

There are heaps of websites by the local carnival ("Fastnacht") guilds and associations but they are all in German. I have made travel pages in English over on VirtualTourist myself about some special Fastnacht locations. These pages contain lots of photos, tips and a little background information. Have a look at them to see what's it all about. You're welcome to ask me about more details!

Freiburg: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/f6ce/

Villingen: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/2b99/

Elzach: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/100ef/

Rottweil: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/5b7f/

Check out the Local customs tips and the Travelogues on each page for more. Read the "Warnings and Dangers" tips, too, to know what to expect...

My Baden-Württemberg page there has some background overview but is still incomplete: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/19/

All the places mentioned can be reached by train from Hinterzarten. I recommend going by train, not by car - it's winter and road conditions can be tricky, roads will be crowded, and in these small towns parking is a problem. Besides, you may want to have a warming drink or two during the day...

4. Re: Hinterzarten in February 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hinterzarten