We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Memmingen

Which Memmingen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Memmingen

Please don't judge but we are a couple of smokers and always go abroad to get cheap cigarettes. The reduced cost 'pays' for our trips and we get to see more of the world. Anyway, I've seen cheap flights to Memmingen in September with Ryanair, go Sat morning come back Sun late afternoon, and was wondering if there is enough to keep us occupied in the town for 1.5 days or if we will be bored by Saturday afternoon!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Memmingen

Memmingen is a nice town

http://www.memmingen.de/tourismus+M52087573ab0.html

If you get bored you can visit e.g. nearby Ottobeuren Abbey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottobeuren_Abbey

Day ticket for the buses is EUR 6,85 (cheaper than 2 single tickets return).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Memmingen

I got bored in about an hour waiting for an in-law during her doctor's visit. The abbey church mentioned above by abalada is excellent for its interior. Another nice nearby abbey is Ochsenhausen ( in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), which to me best represents the past power and influence of the Catholic Church in this part of Germany imposingly sitting on a hillside above the town.

Wurzburg, Germany
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Memmingen

There are two walking tours which lead the some nice sights in town.

You could also visit the St. Martins church tower (only possible i a guided tour), or museums, but I think all is is only available in German...

Some restaurants that I would recommend are Moritz, Las Carretas, Zur Blauen Traube.

For coffee Hochgenuß (great location) and Kaffeerösterei Simon (variety of different very good coffees).

For drinking a beer I'd try the new Barfüßer, which brews its own beer. They also offer Bavarian food.

Wurzburg, Germany
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Memmingen

Another idea:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1514457…

You can get there by bus from the bus station in Memmingen taking a bus to the direction Legau. You have to get out at "Illerbeuren Schule". However Sundays the buses have to be ordered (call by phone, 1 think one or two hours before) in advance

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Memmingen

Thanks guys but we decided to go to Brussels instead. Same price and a bit more to do!

6. Re: 2 days in Memmingen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 22, 2013