We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Moscow, Russia
10 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Hello!

Please advise how to spend 3 weeks in August, beginning and ending with the Bamberg. Our 15-year-old granddaughter will be there on a language course. We will accompany her. And would like to travel around Germany.

We would be grateful for any information

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Bamberg is beautiful, and there are many places you can visit nearby using the Bayern train ticket, basically a one-day pass for the local trains. You can easily make day trips to Coburg, Regensburg, Nuremberg and even Rothenburg ob der Tauber on the trains.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

I'd add Würzburg, Ochsenfurt, Wertheim, Bad Staffelstein (visit the http://www.obermaintherme.de/de/ to relax!), and Bayreuth (the city of German composer Richard Wagner) to the list, and I could name plenty of other nice towns to explore in the region. You could even spend a weekend in Munich (2 hrs 15 by ICE train) or even Berlin, (less than 4 hrs 30 by direct ICE train). For Berlin I recommend to plan and book early to get lower fares. If travel time is not your main concern, then Munich can be reached on local trains in 3 hrs using the Bayern ticket, which is a very good bargain for this long distance.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

I would further add Vierzehnheiligen and Banz abbey near Lichtenfels, Pommersfelden palace, the hills and caves of Franconian Switzerland, the abundance of microbreweries in every town and village if you like beer, Plassenburg castle in Kulmbach, the wine towns and villages in the Main valley, for example Volkach, the open-air museum village in Bad Windsheim, the Thuringian Forest...

You will not run out of things to do and places to visit in that area.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,365 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

No to be missed near Bad Staffelstein is the Basilka Vierzehnheiligen

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_the_Fourteen…

Franconican Switzerland

fraenkische-schweiz.com/bilderbogen/en.html

See also this discussion a few days ago

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187310-i1012-k643…

Moscow, Russia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Many thanks to everyone for the very useful tips

Do I understand correctly that I can book a hotel in Bamberg for the entire period and do day trips from there.

I start to study in detail all the places advised

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

How about a self-catered rental apartment? That will save you a notable amount of money compared to a hotel, give you more room and the option to prepare your own meals. Bamberg's tourist office will be the best source: www.bamberg.info/en/hotels-ferienwohnungen/

Moscow, Russia
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Thanks for the information.

We enjoy staying at apartments .

I'll try to get at how to book

Moscow, Russia
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

BlandineForberg,

What would you recommend?

Edited: 9:59 am, April 29, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Recommend what? Sorry I'm a bit thick at the moment and don't understand the question.

Moscow, Russia
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks in and around Bamberg

Apart-hotel in Bamberg