We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Bamberg as an American?

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
outside of Memphis
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Living in Bamberg as an American?

I have searched the forum and found some older entries, so I thought I would ask for more recent info. . .

Anyone have any input in living in Bamberg as an American (contract employee with military) with a spouse and young child (6 years old)? Would live there probably about a year.

Available housing options? A house would be preferable. Are they available for rent? Areas to look? I would have a hotel for 30 days, so we could look when we get there.

Weekend trips possible from the area? Prague was mentioned. . . others?

Thanks in advance!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

Well, houses are available for rent, but you'd need a furnished house, and they can be quite expensive. I don't know the prices for Bamberg, but you should try http://www.immobilienscout24.de and look for "Haus" "zur Miete" and "möbliert" (furnished), there should be an option somewhere to check it.

Weekend trips from Bamberg - well, certainly Munich, also Leipzig and Dresden. Berlin is possible, too, but further away. ... And check out Rothenburg ob der Tauber (lovely historic center).

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

www.toytowngermany.com/search/?q=bamberg have a look here, those folks can help you more than a travel forum.

outside of Memphis
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

Point taken about the living part. . .thanks. I have been looking at TT, just found out about the Bamberg possibility today. Good site.

So how about the travel questions? What other weekend trips would anyone recommend?

Can you get to Northern Italy for a long weekend?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

A good route planner is

http://www.viamichelin.com

If you want to travel by train you can check travel times with the DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Flying from Nuremberg (NUE) is also an option for a long weekend trip.

www.airport-nuernberg.de/flight-schedule

There are however many interesting places close to Bamberg.

http://www.bamberg.info/en/sehenswertes/?check[bamberg_poi]=1&ansicht=liste&ort=umland&bamberg_poi=1&bamberg_poi=0&bamberg_poi=0&suche_begriff=

Franconican Switzerland

fraenkische-schweiz.com/bilderbogen/en.html

and for a 6 years old the Playmobil Fun Park at Zirndorf is surely interesting as well

http://www.playmobil-funpark.de/en/node/201

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

Hi Breezygrl,

I have a few comments to make -- (I'm a retired American living in Garmisch).

While it is possible to find houses to rent, they are rather rare in Bavaria. Most houses hold four to five separate apartments, and that's where the majority of folks live. To find a full house all to yourself, you may have to live out in the outskirts/suburbs of town, and/or pay quite a lot.

German apartments are not like what I've rented in the US. There is little to no noise seeping through the walls (house walls are made of solid bricks, not frail sheetrock) or ceilings. Apartments can be spacious, and you always get a cellar room where you can store all of your out-of-season stuff and junk.

Since you'll be on government contract, you'll be eligible for military temporary furniture, as well, so you don't have to look for a furnished house or apartment. Just check with your sponsor and ask about it.

Have fun as you plan and prepare -- I think you'll have a great time!

s

outside of Memphis
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

Thank you, all!

abalada, thank you for the ideas. The Fun park looks perfect for me, I mean, my son! I would have to join in the fun!

swandav, I was worried about noise transference, and that is good to hear about the sturdy construction. Our challenge is that my husband is an audio engineer, and needs to hear his work, at 85 decibels-- I imagine neighbors would not be pleased! A basement would be good, but I am not sure if apartments would have them.

The company will ship household goods, so I could bring basic furnishings with me. My biggest concern would be to have a place with a furnished kitchen.

Any other input is greatly appreciated! Bamberg looks beautiful, not to mention the beer! I expect many a weekend could be spent just wandering around the sights in the immediate area. It looks as if there is a city park area as well, and my son loves to ride his bike, so we could definitely enjoy the time there.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

85 decibel is around what a busy street has, so as long as he keeps his work out of the Ruhezeit between 10pm to 6 am, some places around lunch time 1pm - 3 pm there should be no problem and yes you'll have so much to see just around the corner that your year will not be enough.

Come over settle in and then worry about places you want to visit, if you can get a long weekend check for cheap flights to see other parts of Europe, but I doubt that you will get bored exploring Germany during your stay.

It's exciting to move to a new country!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

First, you won't run out of good day trips if you do them every weekend. Get a good large scale map (at least 1:150000) which also shows hundreds of excellent nearby places of all types to visit and that also rates them. Go to the best local bookstore and look at all the ones available closely. The public library is also a good source of books on the region and will probably have a lot of trilingual (German, English, French) picture books of interesting places to visit nearby. Just because you've never heard of the places doesn't mean that they are not as enjoyable to visit as places that you have heard of. What it will mean is that you can have an enjoyable time without the foreign tourist masses that destroy for me a visit to some well-known places. Also, make use of the local tourist office and whatever they have on offer.

I would also make use of cheap flights from the Nuremberg Airport to more distant places in Europe, and what is for me and many others the most enjoyable city in Europe, Istanbul, which will also be exotic.

Bamberg, Germany
Level Contributor
58 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

I am an American living in Bamberg. Re: housing try Zimmerman www.zimmermann-immobilien.de I know them personally, but have never used them. Note that Kay and his son Jan speak fluent English. They have a great reputation.

Re: trips, yes. Plenty of places to go for the weekend, but there is also loads to do here. I use kayak.com/explore to see where would be close and cheap at whatever time I am thinking of going somewhere. we are thinking Porto, Portugal for a long weekend soon.

As far as where to live, I rather like our area, the Gartenstadt area. Close to the train, but quiet, and 1/2 mile or less than 10 minute walk to the city.

outside of Memphis
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in Bamberg as an American?

Thanks, all! Looks like we will instead be in Wiesbaden if all works out, but I am glad to know there is so much to look forward to!