We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do... ???

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,260 posts
1,167 reviews
what to do... ???

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Bamberg in May as my hubby has to attend a conference. We usually take a few days off to go exploring afterwards. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do.

We have been to Germany numerous times - places we have seen. ( Berlin / Frankfurt / Munich /Zurich / Stuttgart/ Cologne/ Heidelberg/ Romantic Road / Hannover/ Rhine Valley / Moselle Valley / Berchtesgaden

Can anyone sugguest a destination which offers something special after Bamberg ?? We are happy to drive or fly.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: what to do... ???

Wurzburg and Rothenburg obT are neat if you want smaller northern Bavarian towns. Regensburg is another possibility.

Have you been to the Fuessen area - Ludwigs castles, hiking, etc.

Nuremburg is not far from Bamberg and would make an easy trip.

Prague is actually an easy trip as well - train to Nuremburg and express bus to Prague.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
2. Re: what to do... ???

You could

1. stay in the region. You could visit Franconia and neighboring Thuringia and Northern Bohemia. Coburg, Bayreuth, Kulmbach or Ambach are all pleasant and interesting towns. Close to Bamberg are also Vierzehnheiligen abbey or Weissenstein palace. Close to the German-Czech border is the Boheman spa triangle with Karlovy Vary, Marianske Lazne and Frantiskovy Lazne, and the historic towns of Cheb and Loket. And in Thuringia you could see Erfurt, Weimar, Wartburg castle or many other cute, small towns.

2. see Dresden. The partly reconstructed old town + the suburbs are very nice, the museums are world-class, neighboring towns like Meissen, Pirna, Freiberg, Bautzen or Görlitz could be on the Romantic Road, nearby Saxon Switzerland is great for hiking, and the Elbe valley itself is a wine-growing region.

3. travel to the Harz mountains. Germanys northernmost mountains were the heart of the country in the Early Middle Ages. There are many preserved towns with thousands of half-timbered houses (like Quedlinburg, Goslar, Wernigerode, Stolberg, Einbeck, Wolfenbüttel or Duderstadt), Romanesque churches, the biggest narrow-gauge railway network of the country (one route goes up to the highest peak of Northern Germany), and of course the mountains itself, which were quite relevant during the Cold War.

Edited: 1:11 pm, February 17, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,260 posts
1,167 reviews
3. Re: what to do... ???

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions which I will now do some research on regarding travel time.

November Moon I have been to Nuremburg , Rothenburg & Prague which I loved.

Martin; Harz Mountains sound interesting too & the neighbouring towns. Do you think it would be possible to cover all the above 3 in a few days. ?? Are they close together. I will have to google the maps...

Thanks again & do you know of any special hotels ie last time we drove from Frankfurt to Salzburg & stopped at Berchtesgaden & stayed at InterContinental Berchtesgarden resort. - very beautiful.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187299-d548344…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: what to do... ???

If you are into fine food, visit Baiersbronn ( www.baiersbronn.de ), a small town in the Black Forest which is Germany's dining mecca with two 3 Michelin-starred restaurant one of which is Germany's best (Schwarzwaldstube), and another 1 Michelin-star restaurant. If you stay at the Hotel Traube Tonbach which has Germany's best restaurant it has many facilities including spa ones, and the setting is lovely in a small mountain valley.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
5. Re: what to do... ???

>"Martin; Harz Mountains sound interesting too & the neighbouring towns. Do you think it would be possible to cover all the above 3 in a few days. ?? Are they close together."

You mean all three mentioned regions? Yes, they are relatively close together, but to cover them all you need at least 8-10 day I would say.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
860 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: what to do... ???

Martins suggestions are great, I loved Meissen, Dresden is interesting, Coburg has a nice castle, Karlovy Vary very pretty, .... and on our "to do' list is Quedlinburg and surrounds..... but how to choose? All so good. Hope you let us know what you did....

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
118 reviews
7. Re: what to do... ???

Vierzehnheiligen is an amazing baroque-style pilgrimage church in the area, close to Lichtenfels. It is more or less between Coburg and Bamberg, and well worth the trip. It's not easy to find on your own, so here is the website. http://www.vierzehnheiligen.eu/en/index.php

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
698 reviews
8. Re: what to do... ???

MartinN2807, your suggestions are absolutely spot on. The areas/towns you've suggested are all wonderful -- and most definitely cannot be done in 2-3 days total. 2-3 days for each region is appropriate as you stated.

9. Re: what to do... ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 02, 2014