We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Konstanz In August - some questions

Mogi Mirim, SP
Level Contributor
151 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Konstanz In August - some questions

Hi!

We intend going to Konstanz in August for just 3 days. I have a lot of question on there, I hope I don't bore you with them.

I tried searching for train schedule in bahn.de, but there are many options for "Konstanz". Which one should I choose? We're going to come from Munich. Is there a better way for doing it? How much are rates for rental cars in this region?

Are there many supermarkets in Altstadt? We want to rent a holiday flat and we'll do everything by ourselves. So, it would be a great help.

Is Mainau with a lot of flowers in August?

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Konstanz In August - some questions

If you want to go to the train station, always select Bahnhof or Hauptbahnhof it there is more than one. The other ones listed are probably all bus stops. Probably the best way to go there is by train to Lindau using an inexpensive Bavaria group (2-5 people) train ticket for 28€, and then a boat to Konstanz across the lake.

For rental cars, just look at the large companies that are present at the major airports in Germany (Hertz, Avis, Sixt, others), or there might also be some smaller local ones where you can't drop the car off in another town which most firms will allow at no charge. What country you are from may cause the auto rental rates to be different.

There will be small supermarkets near the center of town. Of course, the larger ones will be on the outskirts.

Of course the flower island of Mainau will have lots of flowers in August, after all it's the warmest month, but of course some types are seasonal.

Make sure to also visit the UNESCO world heritage vegetable island of Reichenau with its three old monastery churches.

Mogi Mirim, SP
Level Contributor
151 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Konstanz In August - some questions

Thanks! It was really helpfull.

How long does the travel by ferry from Lindau take?

Is there anywhere in Lindau where we could let our baggage for quickly get around the town (a landlocker, f.ex)?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Konstanz In August - some questions

I really don't know how long the trip is, but I believe it's a fair amount of time because I think they may stop in a lot of places along the way. This service's website is www.bsb-online.com .

There is the much quicker catamaran service from Friedrichshafen to Konstanz which is direct- www.der-katamaran.de . I believe you then would also have to purchase train tickets between Lindau and Friedrichshafen as I don't think that the Bavaria ticket will take you there but ends in Lindau.

There are a lot of other boat services on the lake, but I don't know if there are any others between Lindau and Konstanz. Of course, you can take the train all the way there also, which is a big detour around the west end of the lake but also possibly could be fastest.

As we always usually just drive around the lake, I don't really know too much about boats and trains and train station storage lockers.

4. Re: Konstanz In August - some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, December 01, 2010