We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Airport to Railway station

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Airport to Railway station

Hi,

I'm taking a flight from Mumbai to Kochi on 15th August and it will be landing at 15:30. I''m planning to get to my hotel in Alleppey from the Airport via train that I will board from Aluva station.

One train leaves from Aluva at 16:46. I would really like to get this train, but is that enough time to reach the railway station or should I book the 17:20 train instead??

16 replies to this topic
Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

Hi

since your flight land at 3:30, it may take upto 45 min to collect baggage and comes out.also if traffic is heavy it may take upto 30min max to reach aluva station.so its possible to get that train.

But to be safer side,it may be better to book second train.

Another suggestion is since travel time is only 2 hrs,why to book on spot.since its day time you may take a sleeper ticket & move to ac coach after checking the availability of seats with ticket examiner after boarding into ticket.in this case you dont need to worry about train time.( if you are travelling with kids/senior citizens & have lots of baggage,this option may be difficult for you)

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

You might take half an hour, one hour or even longer sometimes to collect the baggage and come out of the airport. Some times, there is a queue for pre-paid taxis also. Aluva is 20-30 minutes depending on the traffic. So, why take a chance?

You can go relaxed so as to catch the 17.20 Dhanbad –Alappuzha express. If it’s on time you can reach Alappuzha by 20.30.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

Just wanted to inform to anone who might be interested.. we made it to the first train in plenty of tym, were even able to grab a bite near the railway station. We did not have any baggage to collect though, but Kochin is a small airport and even collectiong baggage would not take that much time.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

nice to hear about it.

have a wonderful holidays planner

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

It’s indeed nice that you could get the first train itself.

Please note that Kochi airport even though small, it’s quite busy in the mornings and evenings. It depends on the number of flights landed. I use this airport quite often and my experience is not that pleasant. Early mornings, I have even waited one hour for a pre-paid cab. And luggage collection also takes as much time in the morning. Maybe, it's different for the domestic sector.

Anyway, have a nice trip and enjoy the holidays.

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

Hi Planner91,

good to hear back from you

how did you travel between the airport and rly station? did you take the prepaid cab service or bus?

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

A different question.... how easy is it to get a prepaid taxi or other taxi at Aluva (Alwaye) station to go to Kochi Airport. We are getting off the train there as I believe Aluva is much closer to the airport than Ernakulam is. Any thought, and also estimate as to the taxi fare. Thanks in advance

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

Sorry for the late update, but we took a bus and then an auto. The bus conductor was helpful enough to inform which stop we should get down on.

Since we had very little luggage, this option was very convenient. There are frequent comfortable AC buses from the airport to Kochi. Any of those will cross Aluva on the way.

As for railway station to airport, sorry I can't help. Our return wasn't through Kochin so I don't know. Aluva railway station is certainly much closer to the Kochi airport than Ernakulum. You can get an auto but that would depend on how much luggage you have. You might have to bargain with the auto wala. He might start with 150 bucks.

Edited: 1:07 am, April 24, 2015
Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

@Jaytara, for reaching Kochi Airport, it’s better for you to get down at Aluva railway station and take a cab/auto/bus.

Autos and taxis are available right in front of the railway station. The State Bus depot is also right in front of the railway station (hardly 50 mts), from where you can get buses to the airport. A/c buses from Aluva to airport, but their frequency is less. Ordinary buses are also available.

There are no pre-paid counters at Aluva railway station. Taxi fare should be around Rs. 450/-

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Airport to Railway station

@jacpaul1, thanks for your very useful reply.

Reply to: Getting from Airport to Railway station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aluva