We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter RV driving in BC

Which Big White hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Winter RV driving in BC

Hi, has anyone driven a chev van rv in bc in winter. I'm hiring one, it's 20ft long and fully winterized, but the hire company are vague on the details. I'm concerned mainly about the tires. I'm told it has "all season tires which will be fine in MOST snow conditions". If you've done this before and you want to share your experience particularly with snow driving and winter tires. I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing and having fitted a pair of winter tires for the rear

, and if this will suffice. I will be in Canada for one month. I'm prepared to spend a few hundred dollars each to be able to drive safely. I would buy used tires or if Anyone knows of a place in Vancouver that has a buyback scheme I'd be interested to hear. I'm researching all of this from Australia.

Cheers Andrew

I plan to go to whistler, big white, revelstoke and

, kicking horse.

21. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:22 pm, November 15, 2011
Edited: 1:22 pm, November 15, 2011
Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

I wouldn't be concerned about the driving - just make sure the highway conditions are okay as per the highways website.

Also make sure your all season tires at least have a snowflake rating - there will actually be a little snowflake on the side of the tire...they should be okay in the snow.

I would be concerned though about staying in a winterized camper van...as far as I know, the most winterized van's can be is about -15...you could get into some trouble. Not only will you go through about a tank of propane a day with the furnace...unless you have an electric heater and somewhere to plug the vehicle in every night, but your plumbing will freeze...

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

hi

i belong to a group of risk takers so if i was young would it attempt an RV trip as suggested in this posts

Absolutely

i drove a motorcycle from Victoria to San Diego in January and did a November trip from Okanagan to Calgary in November; the custom officer in Osoyoos figured i was crazy. that was over 20 years ago and still going strong.

so the "do not do this trip" posters are probably from the same people that would never snowmobile/ski in the back country. Yes there are risks and people die but if you manage things and understand the risks the odds are in your favour.

so my advise

since you do not have set deadline to be at a destination, build in travel days and watch the weather channel. Only travel on clear sunny days. Travel a lot slower than the flow of traffic and ignore cars that are impatient because you are holding them up.

refer to winter tire requirements at the Big White site

bigwhite.com/plan-your-trip/…

if you want/need to buy winter tire for the vehicle, the RV dealer may have a connection with a local tire shop to get you used tire or check local web sites

find out from the RV rental place what you need to know to run the systems in cold weather and if any will freeze.

if there is no block heater installed and the RV rental will not provide one stop in at a car repair shop and get one installed after you get approval from the RV rental place, the chain called Canadian Tire Store is a good place to start.

www.canadiantire.ca/home.jsp?site=WebStore

as for staying in your RV on a cold wintery night the chances are you will meet locals and they will shelter you in a warm place albeit it might be a hard floor (-:

so when you are at Canadian Tire getting a block heater installed get a foam or air mattress.

At Big White you can drive to the City if it gets too cold since there is usually

a 10C drop in temp (warmer) between the city and the mountains and there are year round RV sites available.

cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

We had a spot of weather on the Coquihalla and in two locations on the Trans Canada Highway yesterday and overnight. Just about on time for the winter.

cbc.ca/news/…bc-snow-highways-weather.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

Officially, winter is still nearly a month away. This does not augur well for the next few months!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

Hi All,

Winter hit Ottawa yesterday... although it may not be our official Stick & Stay Day as temperatures are forecast to be well above Zero this Weekend.

But with just aprox 2 inches of snow... a lot of trouble resulted none the less... I am attaching the local New Story... and there are some rather dramatic photos of what a "little snow" can do even to the experienced Winter Driver...

CBC - "Snow Snarls Ottawa Traffic" = cbc.ca/news/…ottawa-first-snow.html

Photo - *Ottawa Citizen* (Flipped Bus) = www.ottawacitizen.com/news/5755377.bin…

OC Transpo Driver evidently lost control of his vehicle and because it is so light weight (similar situation to the Traveller and the RV) it went off the road and flipped over.

Fortunately, he was alone at the time, and so no one was hurt or injured... he was able to crawl out a roof hatch.

As we've all said in this topic many time... it doesn't take much at all for something to go wrong.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 7:03 am, November 24, 2011
27. Re: Winter RV driving in BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 29, 2013