We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions as to the best runs for intermediate skiers

Which Big White hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions as to the best runs for intermediate skiers

Hi, we are planning a short visit ( only 2.5 days of skiing) and I was wondering if there are any 'must do' runs for the scenery and terrain. I am an intermediate level skiier ( greens / blues only )

BC
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any suggestions as to the best runs for intermediate skiers

I've been to all three of these places, but it has been a few years now, so I will leave the question about non-skiing activities for someone else to hopefully answer for you. Check the websites, they may give good info.

Maybe you could ask your question again, in a new thread, and it might generate more responses?

Big White has a lot of accommodation options that are very close to the beginner runs. We've also stayed at Silver Star and been very close, as well. The one time I stayed at Sun Peak, it was with friends who had booked a large house and it was a long walk away, but I'm not sure about closer things, there is the hotel right close by, which is nice. My hubby and two sons stayed there one time just before Christmas two years ago, when prices were low.

At Christmas all prices are the the highest of the season and I think that quite a few places might have a five night minimum booking, so check into that.

As far as the driving goes, from Vancouver you will take the same highway as far as Merritt for all three. From there, you would continue on Highway 5 (Coquihalla) to Kamloops and onward for Sun Peaks; or, turn off onto the Connector--Highway 97C-- to Kelowna for both Big White or Silver Star.

The drive to Sun Peaks is a bit shorter than the other two. For all three it is a high mountain road and conditions could be treacherous in the worst situation. Without snow or with only light snow it is fine, there is a lot of traffic travelling all the time. You will want to ensure that the rental car has proper snow tires.

As these are ski resorts they get a LOT of snow, and once you are close to the resort, there is a good chance that it will be snowing. Comparing Big White and Silver Star, the road to SS from Kelowna is a much easier drive than the road to BW, yet most people from Kelowna go to BW. My son always got carsick on that winding mountain road to BW and on one trip we saw four cars off the road.

I think that you would be happy in any of these resorts. I know Big White best and can say that it is really beautiful and is the perfect winter wonderland. The Christmas season is special up there and there are lots of celebration type things going on. The Kids' ski school is great, my kids always enjoyed their lessons and time there.

good luck!

ps--edited to say, that I just saw that you did post as a new thread, so I will copy this message into that thread for the benefit of others.

Edited: 4:05 pm, May 06, 2012
12. Re: Any suggestions as to the best runs for intermediate skiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 14, 2013