We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Which Val Thorens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

HI everyone, just wondering whether anyone could assist me with this - I am going skiing at Val Thorens early next year and really want to have a trip to Geneva one day whilst I am there so I can see the sights, a new country, etc.

I read on the website that I can book on Altibus which will take me to Geneva airport and back (which is only 10mins from the centre of the city) but when I tried to book it said something about having to confirm my return journey at the local bus station 48 hours before I leave, and only then will I get my exact departure time from the resort. Anyone know how this works/experienced this situation?

Thanks!

Edited: 8:09 am, November 08, 2010
Prevessins
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Is Geneva your arrival/departure airport?

If it is the case, then you can use marsatis.com services, they can make you a sightseeing tour of Geneva before heading towards Val Thorens or on the way back from Val Thorens. You could save some money.

Best

Voyager

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

You're aware that its about a 2 and a half hour trip one way from Val Thorens to Geneva? And that a return ticket costs about €130? I'd be more worried about that than having to confirm your ticket a couple of days beforehand.

You can get cheap flights from East Midlands to Geneva for less than £50 return if you were really determined to see the city - its also not particuarly Swiss, so wouldn't feel any different to French towns you could see for cheaper during your ski trip, such as Grenoble and Chambery (both doable by train).

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Hi,

I recommend that you never rely on Altibus. On March 19, 2011, at least 60 people missed their flights while returning from Moutiers to Lyon Airport. The bus didn't arrive, everyone waited for at least an hour and the information and people in charge were extremely rude.

Do not rely on Altibus !

Edinburgh...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

AVOID Altibus. They sold us through tickets from Val Thorens to Geneva airport, via Moutiers. The VT->Moutiers bus was delayed by snow. They abandoned us (and all the other passengers heading for Geneva) at Moutiers: no information, no help, no bus. We had to take a taxi to Geneva, costing 300 Euros. Altibus refuse to pay for it, and are only willing to refund the bus fare! Looking around the web this has happened to others too. Would like to hear whether anyone has tried taking legal action against them.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Never had a problem with Altibus, but if your journey is delayed by bad weather, v.few transport carriers other than airlines (who are subject to different legislation) will offer you more than your fare back, and even airlines will generally only put you on a later flight, rather than pay for your alternative transport arrangements..

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Did you read already the General conditions of sale? Sorry but the snow is not a fault of Altibus!

15. FORCE MAJEURE

Altibus shall not be able to be held responsible for a late compliance or the non-compliance with the present General Conditions by reason of a case of force majeure or Act of God, due to the action of the other party to the contract or of a third party, or to external causes such as social conflict, the intervention of civil or military authorities, natural disasters, strikes, fires, flood damage, the poor functioning or the interruption of the telecommunications, or of electrical networks.

Force majeure shall mean any event outside the control of the affected party, of a character which is both unpredictable, irresistible and not able to be overcome, which shall prevent Altibus from implementing all, or a part, of the obligations attributed to it by the///present///contract. In any event, Altibus shall do everything in its power to limit the duration and the effects of the Act of God, of force majeure or of the exterior cause.

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Avoid Altibus at all costs. Dec 2011 bus broke down - no assistance whatsoever - no refund. Altibus kept our fare for a journey they did not complete and on top of that we had a 300 euro taxi to Geneva which they refused to refund. Can't stress enough how unreliable they are.

Edinburgh...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

All other carriers I've ever encountered will get you to your destination - not necessarily on time, sure, but Altibus think it was OK just to drop us half way!

Indeed, I did read the terms, both before and after the journey. So far from "do[ing] everything in its power to limit the duration and the effects of the Act of God, of force majeure or of the exterior cause." Altibus did nothing whatever to limit the effects of the snow. Doing everything in its power would certainly have included finding passengers a way to complete their journey.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

Perdita, no carrier can "limit the effects of snow" - only God can do that. If you had been on a UK train or bus, and it had been delayed by snow, you would have received exactly the same treatment. I know, because it has happened to me.

the other poster who complained of a bus breakdown has a stronger argument. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Val Thorens to Geneva Transfer - Altibus?

I think that is necessairy to explain what is Altibus exactly. Altibus is not a bus company, it is a portal for booking. Altibus is a call center which sales the tickets for the buses on behalf the transportation company like Cars Martin. So if there is a problem it is not Altibus, because they do not have their own buses, but bus company (Cars Martin or others) is reponsible for the tranfers. Altibus can not take the decisions if the bus company is not agree.

So very offen the people criticize Altibus, but it is not their fault, they work for the bus compagny that's all.

Hope that it will help you understand the fonction.