We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

east anglia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

Have just returned from 1 week skiing in Tignes. Stayed at Chalet Waterloo at Tignes Les Brevieres having booked with Alpine Elements. Had a lovely weeks skiing... great snow, great company however a few bug bears with the chalet. It simply is NOT suitable for 12 people. The photos on the website make the chalet look deceptively roomy! The basement bedroom needs to be ditched and made into a boot room...that would bring the number down to 10. Even then, it would be a tight fit! If we hadn't have all got on so well it would have been a very uncomfortable week. Though very genuine and kind the chalet host was not particularly forthcoming. Most resort and chalet information had to be drawn out of the Alpine Elements team rather than being volunteered which didn't make you feel particularly warm and welcomed. On the plus side the chalet host did very well providing a 3 course meal each night for 12 from a tiny kitchen...though the budget is clearly excruciatingly tight for them. Not an egg spare for scrambled eggs for 1! No kindling for the fire. No matches. Had to fetch wood from the garage ourselves. If I were to go again i would suggest each person chucking in 10 euros at the start of the week and widen the kitty so there is ample supplies available! Tignes Les Brevieres is a lovely little town on the edge of an enourmous ski area and I would definately go back. Would probably stay at Chalet Waterloo again, but only witih 9 of my closest buddies!

Upminster, Essex
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

Have just returned from 1 weeks skiing in Tignes also...superb skiing and Tignes les Breviers where we stayed is a very nice village with a gondola and chairlift up to the main slopes. Alpine Elemnts' "Gold Rated" Chalet Waterloo however is tiny inside with a precipitous concrete spiral staircase, which you are forever having to negotiate to get anywhere in the chalet. Built for 8, but crammed with 12 people it is pretty uncomfortable. Briefly problems are as follows:

No proper ski & boot storage, lounge and dining area severly cramped and uncomfortable, rooms tiny, beds too small, bedding inadequate, tv's don't work. not enough hot water, only one towel a week each, rooms not cleaned, no locks on doors, nice fire but never lit unless you do it yourself, not enough food although quality not bad, lounge tv doesn't work, mini hifi only plays cd's, doesn't support Mp3/Ipod, only 1 dvd supplied, health club a long way from the chalet and is very poor, dirty and uninviting, slopes a long way also, although a landrover will ferry you.

Do go to Tignes skiing, it's great for all abilities, just find somewhere else to stay.

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

We booked a ski holiday on the 31st of January 2010 for 1 week with 12 of our family. We stayed at Chalet Waterloo in Tignes. I have read some reviews on the web about Alpine Elements customer service skills but they were two years old so I hoping they would have improved, it states on their website, “Our Company ethos is based around Customer service and satisfaction”. So I thought I would contact them to say that some areas of our holiday weren’t to our satisfaction that was in February and I am still waiting for a reply.

I wondered if these things were a usual standard for their company especially in a Gold Chalet. We are no stranger to staying in Chalets and usually book 2 ski holidays a year but this is the first time with Alpine Elements.

There was no evening meal for the children provided on the first night leaving them to eat from their parents plate. The host just sat at the table eating his.

No cot or stair gate on arrival for kids

Food often cold, bland or lumpy. On a few occasions served over 30 minutes late.

Host sat at the table that was a tight squeeze for 8 adults and 4 children never mind another person. He also piled all his dinners and deserts bigger than ours which we began to notice more over the holiday.

No food choices, didn’t know what was for tea in the morning for our evening meal. Children had to eat same as adults even when they didn’t like it. Often still after eating people still hungry.

No hot breakfast first morning, host late some mornings leaving us to set table and late on to slopes, served under cooked bacon. Hot choice some mornings one pancake or a pan o chocolate. Reluctant to cook an extra egg for one of children that wasn’t eating much even though 2 of guests not had eggs. No breakfast morning we were leaving. Even when we have left chalets at 2 am there has still been food provided for us.

No napkins on table until resort manager arrived to set table.

Wine taken away as soon as meal finished.

Charging for dilute pop.

No toilet brush in room

Chalet not cleaned properly.

We had nanny’s in the chalet and they commented on the laziness of this host and how tight he was with the food. Not even wanting to put an extra able on a apple tart! He also asked Nannys to help him cook tea. That would have resulted in them not watching the kids. The Nanny's told us this.

Host wasn’t social even when sitting at the table with us.

No where in chalet to dry boots.

Towels not changed or bath mat even though shower in top bathroom leaked on to floor leaving mat wet all week.

It states on your website we should get a selection of toiletries, we got a bar of soap.

No one told us how to access pool. We were told just to say chalet Waterloo. When we got there though we needed a ticket. The pools toilets weren’t open or showers weren’t working. Water was all over floor in changing room leaving the kids clothes getting wet when changing.

Host threw away one of the families bag of medicines for children, plasters, paracetamol, cough syrups etc half way threw holiday and didn’t do anything about it.

This all doesn’t give us faith of booking with thrm again. It was an expensive holiday and wasn’t good value for money.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,616 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

What did the earwig say when it fell off the wall??

Ere We Go (again!!)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

Hi all,

This topic was closed due to inactivity, however, we have received requests from the community to re-open it for further discussion. Thanks for all of your participation!

Best regards,

TA_Louise

5. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:21 am, May 28, 2011
6. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:21 am, May 28, 2011
London
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

The Waterloo is, in my view, a very nice ski chalet with a tastefully decorated interior. The negative feedback seems to stem largely from its unsuitability for 12 guests sharing a lounge and table more suited to 10. I cannot bear to see the name of such an excellent ski chalet go to ruin - and so we have decided to reduce the capacity, (which was decided by the architect!), down to 10 persons. This will entail making 2 of the 6 ensuite bedrooms into single rooms which should greatly enhance its appeal to solo bookers: single rooms are rare in chalets. We will also be converting the store room into a proper ski room with seats and heated boot warmers, and maybe even a sauna!

Any service issues have been taken care of by instating our Premium service into this chalet of late. We hope that you are encouraged to book what I believe is a very nice ski chalet, and a statement that I will gladly stand behind!

James Hardiman

Managing Director

Alpine Elements Ltd

Taunton, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

This chalet was on our list of possibilities for a group ski trip early next year. I was abit wary after reading some of the comments - mind, 'only one towel a week' - is hardly a deal breaker in my book! In my experience, if you bother to speak to chalet workers they'll sort out things like soap, lightbulbs etc.

I have stayed in Tignes Les Brevieres twice in the last 5 years and can vouch for it being a bit of a hidden gem. You get the best of the massive Killy Espace with none of the hi rise and crowds of Tignes and the snooty cost of Val dIsere.

I visited friends who stayed at this Chalet Waterloo last year when we were in another chalet. It did seem a bit crowded then, but they said the same as cski40 - if it was 10 people that'd be fine. It looks like this year it will be, which is good. I didn't need a boot room but the comment above sounds like the company are addressing that and most other complaints.

The idea of single rooms the company MD talks about above is a good idea. I remember looking for those a few years back for someone else in our Uni group and they were like hens teeth.

We will definitely keep this chalet on our short list for 2012.

London
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

Management Response

The Waterloo is a lovely chalet. And I will stake my job on that statement! It seems such a shame that it has received a few negative posts and on balance it seems to be down to the space available for the 12 guests for which it was designed.

Simply, the architect seems to have been scrimped with the public areas and space around the didning table is limited. So, in response to your posts we have decided to downsize the chalet to a 10 bedder which we know will greatly help.

James Hardiman

Managing Director

I am sure that all of you who have visited the chalet will agree that it is very pleasant inside, the decor is imaginative and our interior designer did a fantastic job. Please don't be put off, I will stand by the quality of this chalet!

Edited: 5:35 am, November 04, 2011
east anglia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chalet Waterloo, Tignes Les Brevieres: Alpine Elements

Delighted to hear your response to our feedback. Chalet Waterloo IS a lovely chalet and I would definately go back if there was a smidge more room. Sauna would be an added bonus! Thank you Alpine Elements. I just need to be more organsied next year and book early!