We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

We are Australians travelling on holidays to Europe from May to September 2013. We will be visiting Italy, France, Spain & Portugal. We fly in to Rome and fly out from Paris. We understand we don't need a visa for up to 90 days but are struggling to find the visa requirements for greater than 90 days.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

Duplicate posting

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

Did you get an answer to your question as I have the same problem??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

You have to apply for a long-stay visa, and the requirements seem to be quite onerous. You apply to the embassy of the Schengen country where you will be spending the most time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

If you are aged 18-30 sometimes 35, you may be able to get a longer working holiday visa.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

Could you take a bit of time out in the UK (or elsewhere) and re-enter the Schengen zone for another 90 days? Would have thought you'd be better off asking this question of fellow Australians, people who have done it themselves?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

If any of you has an Irish grandparent ( quite likely for many Australians) you are entitled to Irish citizenship and hence an Irish passport, which solves the problem.

Ed

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

@5, the requirement is still no more than 90 days in any 180 day period. So going to the UK will stop the clock, but still leave you with fewer than 90 more days.

And an Irish passport may work for the one individual but it won't entitle anyone else in the party to more than 90 days.

Incidentally, I recently looked up the requirements for our children to get UK passports based on their father's birthplace and there are enormous hoops to jump through. It is not virtually automatic as it used to be.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

Many people have said that getting a longer-term visa is very difficult. Maybe a month in the UK could be the answer for the OP - a trip around could be a lovely addition, especially if you don't know it well already, then your 90 days could be in the Schengen area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

I would love to hear how you managed on your trip. My husband and I are retiring in December and hope to do a similar holiday next year. I have a UK passport, his is Australian.

Someone suggested a trip to UK, but we have already visited UK several times.

We are going to spend some time in Croatia and Montenagro, but still need 4 -5 months in the Schengen countries, probably a month in Portugal, France, Italy and Germany, the other month driving and stopping between.

Any tips would be fantastic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa for Australian tourist visiting Europe more than 90days

Your husband needs to apply to the Embassy of the country where you will be spending the most time. Allow plenty of time for processing.

I believe it is about as difficult for an Australian to get a long-stay visa in Europe as it is for a European to get a long-stay visa in Australia.

Get answers to your questions about Vaison-la-Romaine