We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation ... October

on the go
Level Contributor
401 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation ... October

Looks like we'll be staying 2 nights in Cassis, to do daytrips to Marseille & Avignon, and then make our way north to Paris. Any hotel recommendations, easy access? I'm not sure about the train station and how close it is to hotels on the water... (i had read with Marseille the train station and port were quite far away...)

thanks.

Chioggia
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

Fotogirl

Just saw your postings... about training it to Avingon and Marseille..

I 'm no expert on Cassis, but after your Venice to Nice train journey , will you want to spend up to 2 hours twice in a day to go to Avignon ... and then another day of trains to Marseille ?

Possibly better to be based in Marseille...

There are small villages at the back of Nice and Cannes which is still in Provence ( at least in some people 's book !).

A.

on the go
Level Contributor
401 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

well after we arrive in Nice, we're there for about 5 nights. We eventually need to get up to Paris - but my friend wants to see Marseille. And we *could* do a daytrip and back to Marseille from Nice but that's like 6 hours roundtrip on train - bad idea.

You're probably right. We could stay in Marseille, I just haven't heard too many good things about it. (Again for other reasons my friend wants to see it) Someone said Cassis was cute and close to Marseille so i figured we could stay there but it is probably best to just stay in Marseille. The thing is it's pretty far from train station to the port and decent hotels? Maybe I'm wrong. I think we should just save Avignon for another time instead of jumping all around. I find I enjoy a place better having spent more than a few nights there.

Chioggia
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

Fotogirl

Thanks for the reply>

I love staying several nights in the same place and then returning to it several times - home from home -

went for many years to Capri and Marakech ,

sometimes Biarritz and Deauville in France -

I saw your question about the sleeper and the bathroom facilites - I don not know about the first class doubles / singles

but do not that the ones called T 3 which are I believe classified as being 2nd class - they have a wierd contraption with a "chamber pot " system which is then emptied manually in the plumbing system - it sounds weird and is not exactly the most practical of things nor discreet - if you see what I mean !

Sorry if I am replying late but have come to South Wales ( in the UK not Australia ) for family reasons ( hospital for one of ).

My apologies - I use a cyber centre here.

Ciao ciao

Alan

Atlanta
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

Cassis is a beautiful seaside town.

Stay at either La Roche Blanches or Mahogany Hotel.

Both have beautiful views of sea and are a 10 minute walk into town

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

Cassis is a fantastic little spot. My wife and I end up spending a few days there every year or two. Been going there since the early 90s and we always stay at the Hotel Roche Blanche. Great hotel. Nice pool overlooking the ocean. Easy access to the village center.

I would say two days in Cassis will keep you busy enough you may not need to visit Marseille. Avignon would make a nice visit if you don't mind the train journey. I could easily burn those two days just in Cassis.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

I can't resist. Many hate me for this, but....having been to Marseille at least a dozen times for a collective 25 days or so...I really DO NOT like Marseille. But, that's my opinion.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

Hi, I know its a while since you posted, but I've just got back from Cassis and travelled there from Marseille airport. If you still have any questions please let me know.

Have a good trip, its a lovely place.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

would cassis be interesting enough to stay 3 nights if i am by myself? I was going to Nice, Aix then Cassis then back to Nice. I am going to do a tour of Luberon. I have no car.

Thanks

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

We were in Cassis in April 2006 and absolutely loved it and we are planning to go back in May 2007 for our anniversary. We stayed at the Best Western which was O.K. but we would love a B and B if anyone knows of one there. We are planning to spend a couple of days in Isle sur la sorgue, the little Venice of Provence.

10. Re: Hotel Recommendation ... October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 22, 2009