We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cassis like Antibes?

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cassis like Antibes?

Last May we spent a wonderful month in an appt in old Antibes. As OAPs we particularly liked old town, restaurants, cafes, market, harbour all very close and no hills to walk up. Am now looking to explore a different area and wonder if Cassis is big enough to be a base for a month. Have also considered La Ciotat but it sounds slightly less charming. Any thoughts please?

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

Cassis is far smaller than Anitbes. About 5 000 inhabitants. However it's nice and if you have a car you can certainly travel around and discover beautiful places to explore (Aix is a short drive).

La Ciotat is larger but less quaint and less touristy.

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

Thanks phidou. I thought that was the case and am worried there may not be enough to entertain us for a month in Cassis, although it looks beautiful and I'd certainly love to visit. Can you suggest anywhere else west of Cannes that's on the coast and has some of the charm of both Cassis and Antibes? I keep scrutinising google map but its not helping much!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

For a base, if it is simply a question of charm, atmosphere and animation, Cassis can surely offer good levels during the season (not during the winter), but it really depends on the precise period you are considering: May, somewhat June and September will have animated weekends, and a normal non summer pace during the week, but all restaurants and shops will be open.

Restaurants, you can find one a day for a month as well in Cassis.

From Cassis, with a vehicle, nothing is really far: St Tropez, Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, Les Gorges du Verdon, Aix-en-Provence, Marseille, Avignon, Pont du Gard, Arles and all of western Provence within a 1 1/2+ hour (July and August add time!) drive. Anything more east will just add driving time, anything more west and on the coast is not any easy proposition as you are finding out as your research has turned up rather dry...

We spend 3 weeks in Cassis every summer and have no complaints.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

Cassis has all you're looking for, but I definitely wouldn't stay there for a month unless you're planning to hire a car, since public transport options out of the town are very patchy. You don't say how essential it is for you to be on the coast -- if you're prepared to go inland, you'll have many more options.

Edited: 7:10 am, October 02, 2012
Belfast, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

Just stay in Cassis for at least a week without moving around. It is so beautiful with a superb beach - the best on the Riviera.

Food not so wonderful but the atmosphere at night is unbeatable. La Ciotat is good at night too.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

Can't really add much to above assessments. Despite the size differences there are certain similarities in terms of Cassis' Citadel = Antibes Towers and Ramparts, pedestrianised old town, attraction to artists etc. The main difference is certainly access to public transport compared to Antibes. IMO A month there without a car would be very limiting.

Ed

UK
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

Further west, I absolutely love Aigues Mortes, but again, without a car it wouldn't be my choice for a month-long stay.

I love Hyeres, which has relatively good public transport and a huge variety of things to do, you might have a look at it.

8. Re: Is Cassis like Antibes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 01, 2014