We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cassis in May vs Sept

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Cassis in May vs Sept

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can recommend if May or Sept would be a better time to visit Cassis. Specifically, second week of May or Sept. My understanding is that both times would allow to avoid summer crowds. Pls let me know if there's some event in Sept that brings in the crowds. The other posts indicate that the water in May is too cold for swimming. I also read that Sept presents the risk of fires in the Calanqes. How's the water in Sept and how's the overall weather in May? I don't mind if I can't swim, so long as sun bathing is comfortable and I don't need more than short-sleeve top in day time. Any suggestions on when to go? Summer is not an option... . Thank you for your help!

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

I have only stayed in Cassis in May and the water was definitely too cold for me though a lot of other hardier people were in it. As for avoiding crowds, at the weekend it was very very crowded indeed, though quiet the rest of the time. If you really want to swim, I would go for September - the French school holidays have finished by then anyway.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

Very difficult question again!

The water in Cassis can be cold even in the middle of the summer: as soon as the Mistral blows, the tempurature can go down to 16 degC... even in July or August.

In September, the calanques can be closed due to fire risk where as May they are open 100%.

Weather can start changing as of mid-August (cloudy stormy) and in September you may not be able to be in a short sleeved shirt only, especially after sundown. Chances are better in May for that.

Having been to Cassis in every season, I would personnally choose May, the later in the month the better.

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

Thank you for your replies! May is actually a better time for our schedule, and swimming is not a huge priority. We leave by the ocean, so used to water being something you enjoy at a distance. However, I wanted to make sure that May at the beach in Cassis won't be overcast and freezing (sweatshirt weather). Would you say that, on average, middle of May is sunny at the beach and the air is warm enough to feel like summer? Also, someone told me that nights in Cassis are very cold. Is that true? Sorry if it seems like I'm asking the same question twice, but when it comes to weather personal experience with wind/humidity/etc matters more than guide book averages... . Thank you again.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

France is roughly at the same latitue as Seattle WA, so yes, evenings can be cool even in July and August. That is why evenings are pleasant and people live without air conditioning . Some nights stay warm but it is not the general rule.

No May on the Med is quite nice, there are variations due to weather of course!

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

Thank you!

NYC
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

My response to you, and this is the first time I have ever posted to a travel site (btw I LOVE TRIPADVISOR), so you can imagine that I LOVE Cassis, otherwise I wouldn’t of taken the time to post this. "May is actually a better time for our schedule, and swimming is not a huge priority. We leave by the ocean, so used to water being something you enjoy at a distance. However, I wanted to make sure that May at the beach in Cassis won't be overcast and freezing (sweatshirt weather). Would you say that, on average, middle of May is sunny at the beach and the air is warm enough to feel like summer? Also, someone told me that nights in Cassis are very cold. Is that true?"

1. Cassis is 100% wonderful to put it mildly, most of my long vaca / trips are to So African (I live in NYC and have a 2nd place near Virginia Beach, so I am a very BIG beach person), that said, this is my 3rd trip to Cassis in 5 years. I am going end of May 2010. The water at that time of year is wonderful, refreshing and perfect (like a great French champagne), the water will be warmer in the calanques and especially on to En-Vau (take this hike) rather than the beaches closer to Cassis, Plage du Corton and Plage de l'Arène. The beach next to Les Roches Blanches (hotel) I LOVE the best (except for En-Vau but that takes 1 ½ to 2 hours each way (at least) depending how fast you trek).

2. End of May in Cassis weather can almost be lie the weather in So Laguna Beach at end of April, it can be that warm, but the night can/is a little chilly / chilly.

3. It does seem like summer, that beautiful in Cassis in May!

4. I would NOT miss on a chance to go swimming!

5. Picture of En-Vau, WELL worth the hike!! flickr.com/photos/patrickraymond/3462985784/

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

That's good news mzulu, I was worried it might be a little chilly to go in the sea in late May/ early June.

This may be of interest as well:

www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Cassis/seatemp

It says the sea temperature near Cassis is 1.9c above the average of 15.2c, for the time of year.

17.1c in open water, so the sea is probably already 18/19c in the sheltered Calanques.

However, the weather in Provence is terrible at the moment. The forecast doesn't look too good either - it seems that after a very warm second half of April, May is turning out to be dire (as it is here in the UK). I hope it improves soon because I'll be in Cassis May 31st/ June 1st.

Edited: 2:40 pm, May 04, 2010
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

I would seriosly suggest that you opt for September.

The weather tends to be wonderful, mostly warm and dry, and you will have the advantage of being able to enjoy the wonderful Provencal cuisine, prepared with ALL of the most wonderfully perfetly ripe local produce.

What's not to love ?

9. Re: Cassis in May vs Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, November 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cassis