We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

Merseyside
2 posts
Save Topic
Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

We are visiting Cassis in mid-September and would like to visit the Calanques (ideally by foot rather than taking a boat as this will allow us to get on to the beaches). However, I am a little confused as to whether this will be possible. Some information suggests that this won’t be possible due to the risk of fries, others that it will be. Can anyone shed any light on what’s right?

Thanks

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

There is always a risk of fire in the Calanques between June and September. Whether you will be permitted access on foot on any particular day depends on what the weather has been like generally during the summer months and what specific weather conditions prevail on any given day. Each day a determination is made as to whether to restrict access on the following day. IOW there is no way to know in advance.

We have been there in September when there were no restrictions and again when access was limited to the morning hours only. I do not recall being there after the end of August when all access was forbidden but it does happen.

The first of the links below has a phone number you can call to find out if the park is closed, the second gives you other ways to access the information as to which areas are open or closed on any given day.

gipcalanques.fr/decouvrir_les_calanques/acce…

gipcalanques.fr/decouvrir_les_calanques/acce…

Merseyside
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

Thanks for your reply, and those links, that's cleared things up.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

It is also possible to get off the boats on some trips.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

coincidently, the Guardian had something about walking in the Calanques the other day

guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/mar/13/cassis-cal…

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

Access to the calanques is controled from July 1st to September 30th. They are closed in case of winds above 40km/hour (Le Mistral, generally but not only) and/or drought / lack of rainfall.

As of mid-August, the frequency of rain tends to increase, so the frequency of closings to decrease.

To my knowledge, it is no longer possible to get off the boats during calanques tours as was before.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

I am really bummed to hear you may not be able to get off the boats in the calanques. Is there a recommended place to swim around Cassis? The forum is very helpful. Thanks.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

Beachwise Cassis is not your typical easy place.

You have 2 municipal beaches. The main beach in the center of town. It is not huge, in the high season towels are pretty close, but I have never seen it where there was not ample space if you move back a bit. Then there is the Bestouan (the ouan is pronounced "ou-ang") that is on the road to the calanques, very small beach, but some like it better. You need to arrive early. To the east of Cassis you have the Plage de la Couronne, very few people generally as you have to walk a bit, in a gorgeous horse shoe bay, not really child friendly (ours hated it) because the medieum size round rocks in the water don't allow walking, running, playing in the shallow water, that is crystal clear. Cassis is known for La Plage Bleue, a series of flat rocks, after le Bestouan, and as your are going towards La Presqu'Ile, the municipal tennis courts. The beaches there are mostly "naturiste" but it is very laid back: keep your bathing suit on or take it off, no one really cares. However many have it off. Access to the water from the rocks is tricky, not for children, as you have to use a wave to get back up. If you miss you can get scraped on the sharp rocks.

Bring nothing of value to the beach. Southern Europe is big on petty crime and the beaches are scoured...everywhere...

The water is never very warm. There are ice cold fresh water resurgences in the area that keep the water cool and if the Mistral blows the temperature can go down very quickly!

Last but not least you can walk to the calanques and swim there. There is also a road and parking lot that can get you closer and not have to walk as much.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

Thanks for the great info. We'll probably hike in and swim. Any great tips on where? I've seen a recommendation to hike into Calanque Port-pin with adequate water, food, hat etc. from Cassis. Is this true? Thanks so much.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

The calanque d'Envau is the most beautiful. From the parking lot I mentioned I believe there is still a nice hike to get to Envau.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cassis and the Calanques in mid-September

Thanks so much for the tips.