We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to the calanques

Which Cassis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to the calanques

My husband and I are thinking about a visit to southern France next summer, early July.

I'm particularly interested in seeing the calanques, with a night or two in Cassis.

I see that there are boat tours, which is fine, but I would really like to swim or hang out on one of the calanque beaches. What I understand from reading is that the trails will be closed at the time we're there. We're probably not in the best of physical shape anyway (sounds like a grueling hike to En Vau). Does anybody know if there are boats that will drop you off, then return to pick you up?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to the calanques

I did a boat trip around 5 calanques (80 minutes) from Cassis in June this year. It was late afternoon, the boat didn't berth at any of them. However there were plenty of people, youths mainly, on the beaches and sun-bathing on the rocks. They must have got there somehow.ChicChantal will know. If she doesn't read this send her a PM.

I was quite surprised by the number of calanques boat trips per day from Cassis.I was glad I took the tour,for the experience, but it wasn't the best excursion of my holiday in Provence by a long way.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to the calanques

Hi Boston !!

Some people hike or go with their own boats and anchor. There are a lot of calanque tours out of Cassis, like a menu, can see up to 5. The beach in Cassis I enjoy very much. Maybe you can get a personal tour boat for an hour or two to take you alone. The hike may be strenuous.

Have fun !! Cassis is very beautiful !!!

Maine
Level Contributor
677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to the calanques

If the weather/sea is calm, the ticket window will let you buy a one way ticket to the amazing en Vau,which has a lovely beach, but the drop off point is a bit of a rough trek on rocks down to the beach. I have done it, but not easily-a boat ride may be all you can do if you are disabled. On the other hand,if you have climbed on the rocks of Maine, you can do it; just wear safe shoes. You will have to walk the trail back. The boat does not come back to pick you up. The other calanque that has a smaller beach, the inlet is not as dramatic but is easily reached by foot- is Port Pin. Why do you think the trails would be closed. The trails are great-they are not grueling but it takes an hour to walk back to Cassis. I think I took 3 rolls of pictures! The calanques are among the most beautiful areas in France. Go!

Maine
Level Contributor
677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to the calanques

I meant to add that the time of day to visit the calanques is when the sun is high and straight up shining on the water which will be turquoise. In the late afternoon, it isn't as beautiful.

5. Re: Visit to the calanques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:04 pm, November 07, 2015
UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to the calanques

If the trails ARE open you might want to catch the mini tourist train that goes around the town, when I was there it also went up to the nature reserve at the top of d'En Vau. You can hop on and hop off and it saves you quite a long walk through residential areas so you only expend your energy on the interesting bits.

7. Re: Visit to the calanques

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:04 pm, November 07, 2015
UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to the calanques

Diz you are right, I always get d'Envau and Port Miou confused. Bostontourist if you can get the little train up there, it's a pleasant walk along the top and flattish unless you choose to go down to sea level.

boston
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to the calanques

You guys are great!

So just to clarify: Don't count on the trails being open in July, due to risk of fire. That means one can't walk to any of the calanques?

Which would mean that the only way to get to the calanque beaches is to hire a boat. Is this accurate?

I so appreciate your advice.

10. Re: Visit to the calanques

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 12, 2009