We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

name of town in France

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
name of town in France

Need help! I was in France in 2012 and we were travelling from Ypres in Belgium to Calais. we were about an hour from Calais and stayed in a wee town which I cannot recall the name of? Basically, heading towards Calais you enter the town past an old hotel/restaurant on the right, which a rather odd English couple run, it was brown? from memory. down the hill on the left is the turn-off to the town. you go past some sort of store on the right with a car-park out front then about 100m up on the right is the church. Opposite this is the town square with a book shop, bank etc, behind this is restaurants etc and more hotels. further up that main road, on the next corner was a B&B on two levels run by and English woman. We stayed in a "family room" with a toilet etc out by the stairs. She was very helpful and said she travelled to Calais (1 hour) to do her shopping. If anyone can shed some light on where this place is it would help conclude our holiday records. Thanks, Brendon Wood.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: name of town in France

As no-one else seems to be replying could I ask a couple of questions?

I presume you weren't on the Motorway all the way, it's only about an hour and a quarter by Motorway, from Ypres to Calais - have you any idea of any of the towns and villages you passed through?

Did you not keep a receipt when paying for the Hotel or have any record of the Hotel on your credit/debit card statement?

The description of the town is very similar to dozens of towns and villages in that area - did you pass any World War Memorials, distinctive Churches or other notable sights on yor journey?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: name of town in France

No documents were retained that give a clue to the name of the town. The main road was a highway, not a motorway. the brown resturant was plaster, sort of spanish style about 100m before the town turnoff. We had been doing WW1 stuff around the North of Ypres and were heading through Dunkirk to Calais. Hope this helps. Brendon.

Maine
Level Contributor
672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: name of town in France

Hi if you want to try to search, go to Google Maps, you can get directions from Ypres to Calais not taking the autoroute. Enlarge the map to see even small town names. You can even drag the man off the compass and walk down the street when you find your town.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: name of town in France

The only thing I can suggest you do is go on to Google Earth or google maps and streetscapes and follow the route you thought you had taken. See if any of the streetscapes are familiar.

There are a lot of towns within 1 hour of Calais, and in the direction of Ypres.

Try the route planner here routes.aaireland.ie - click on the euro box. Get the route between Calais and Ypres. It will give you the motorway but you can zoom in on the surrounding area. Perhaps some of the names will be familiar.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: name of town in France

Sorry lvfr8, we appear to have overlapped with our information!!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: name of town in France

The only place that comes to my mind is Gravelines, but I'm probably thinking of totally the wrong place. I know it's not far from Dunkirk, just looked on google maps and did a route from Ypres to Calais,I've been to Gravelines myself, but I could be wrong.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: name of town in France

All good suggestions thanks. It is not Gravelines, probably about the size of Fortem, and in about that part of Europe also. The main road passing through is virtually straight and slightly downhill. The bulk of the town is on the left (heading through) and the hotel on the corner before the town has a side road on the right with the hotel entrance around back. The restaurant is on the actual corner. cheers.

8. Re: name of town in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 24, 2013