We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

printing confirmation

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
printing confirmation

hi,going to calais on saturday on a day trip.can anyone tell me if i need to print off the booking confirmation or can i just give them the booking ref number.last time i went,they didnt look at the paper work,just took our passports,but i dont want to take the risk of not printing it off,and them asking for it when i get to dover

thanks again

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: printing confirmation

We haven't used the ferry for ages but eurotunnel (shuttle) don't need a printout, if you use the automated turnstiles they recognise your number plate & if you use the manned points they just want your surname, the ref number will help if you've got a really common surname.

For what little effort it takes, if you're at all bothered just print the travel detail page of the confirmation & take that instead of printing all the T&C cr*p that comes with it.

Edited: 8:52 am, October 15, 2012
Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: printing confirmation

We used the ferry this summer (P&O) and it was just number plate recognition plus passports. However, I do always have the booking confirmation printout as well, just in case of queries.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: printing confirmation

I always have the printed booking confirmation with me, even though mostly we've not needed it.

But it was very useful about three years ago when we arrived at Calais for our return ferry to Dover and found that because of a SeaFrance strike all ferries including those run by P&O (with whom we were booked) were cancelled. We were asked to show our booking confirmation and got a voucher to use Eurotunnel instead.

I dare say it would have been possible to do this without a printed confirmation but it would probably have taken a fair amount of time while they checked all the details. Because we had a printed confirmation the whole process of giving us the Eurotunnel voucher took less than 5 minutes.

PS: I also just print out only the main page where all the details are, and not the T&Cs.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: printing confirmation

I always have my ferry confirmation with me. I find I need it more the Calais side as opposed to the Dover side as it's normally number-plate recogination that side. Better to be safe than sorry I always believe.

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: printing confirmation

thanks for the replies,really appreciated.i will print out the confirmation,better safe than sorry

thanks again

dawn

Edited: 8:14 pm, October 15, 2012
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: printing confirmation

Hope you have a lovely time, where abouts are you planning to visit once in France?

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: printing confirmation

Going into belgium for a couple of days.we have done a lot of france,travelled from the top,all the way down to the south,monte carlo etc and into italy and spain.we love france,but trying belgium for a change.dont know where in belgium yet,just travelling around for a couple of days

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: printing confirmation

Going into belgium for a couple of days.we have done a lot of france,travelled from the top,all the way down to the south,monte carlo etc and into italy and spain.we love france,but trying belgium for a change.dont know where in belgium yet,just travelling around for a couple of days

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: printing confirmation

I hope you have a lovely time. Not spent much time in Belgium, although have visited Brugge, which was lovely.

10. Re: printing confirmation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 18, 2013