We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amiens to Ypres

Which Amiens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
121 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Amiens to Ypres

We want to drive around the WW1 battlefield sites around the Somme with particular interest in the Aussie areas such as Villers Bretoneux etc. We don't want to take a formal tour but just do our own thing. We thought we'd begin in Amiens but wondered if we could see much of the area and then instead of returning to Amiens, actually finish at Ypres.

Does this sound possible or am I way off course?

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amiens to Ypres

It is possible, but depends a bit how much time, you have to spend, actually to me it sounds a good and interesting plan.

Except...... as Ypres is in Belgium, be aware that there are cross-border drop-off fees for rental cars that can run to the several hundred €€€€€

It is not far over the border though, so pop back to France to drop your car, if that is your plan, Lille is the closest large town, anyway, or Hazebrouk is near (and has its own WW1 history also.....)

Edited: 1:55 am, May 28, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
121 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amiens to Ypres

Thanks Essex Wanderer. We will be continuing our journey south to Provence so Ypres will be a 1 or 2 night visit on the way. I'm glad to hear you think the plan to start the day in Amiens and head toward Ypres incorporating some WW1 battlefields will work. I wanted to move forward to save some time rather than head back to Amiens. Many thanks for your response.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amiens to Ypres

OH!!!!

Well, you might have said you were only going to spend a day on this in your header post!! That does change things a bit.

It is still do-able in a day, but you will have to pick the places you want to visit quite carefully. You will also have to get a shift on and not dawdle about too much....

It is not a long drive, on paper, but the problem is that there is so much to see and do, in between!!

Guess you are heading for the evening ceremony at the Menin Gate at Ieper?? That starts at 8pm SHARP so you will have to get there in good time, to find a decent viewing spot. This will curtail your travel time somewhat, and add a nice bit of "stress" if you get some traffic!

Good Luck!

Edited: 3:40 pm, May 28, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
121 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amiens to Ypres

So, would you suggest we spend a day at the battlefield sites that we want to try to cover and then return to Amiens and then head directly to Ypres the next day or stopover in a town between Amiens and Ypres? I want to make this trip stress free as much as possible but can't get my head around what's possible and what's not!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amiens to Ypres

Well,if you have the time, then a stopover en-route would be good!

I do like Amiens a lot though, but if you will already have spent some time there before you set off, it is nice to experience somewhere different, eh?

Arras would be my choice, its Flemish architecture is stunning and very different to Amiens, yet it is small enough to be easily negotiable for an evening....

Bethune is supposed to be very nice, but I have not been there, it is in the right kind of area, though!

Hmmn, tere really is no right or wrong answer here, it is just choices..... choices......

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amiens to Ypres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béthune

http://www.visitbethune.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arras

Arras tourist office website down, at present....

7. Re: Amiens to Ypres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 30, 2014