We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get a car to western france

D B
Derby
4 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get a car to western france

Hi,

We are looking at traveling from the midlands with our car and 2 children to st jean de monts. Question is, which is the best way ie ferry / drive combination.

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
30,371 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Well, looking at a map, I 'd probably go for a Portsmouth to St Malo Ferry, and failing that, try Portsmouth to Cherbourg.

Both routes are with Brittany Ferries.

D B
Derby
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Has anyone done the Portsmouth to st Malo ferry ? Is it expensive and long winded ?

Thanks

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Yes, I have. It's not cheap (do a dummy booking on the Brittany ferries website to see exactly how much) but it will knock 5.5 hours off the journey time from Calais. Given that you are starting in Derby and are travelling with kids, I assume that Derby-Dover-Calais-St.Jean de M would involve an overnight stop for you, so you need to compare the price of that + motorway tolls + 5.5 hours fuel with the cost of the ferry.

Use www.viamichelin.com to see the driving times and estimated cost of tolls etc.

If you decide to take the ferry and are going in school holidays, I would not hang about in making your booking since the weekend crossings will be booking up fast.

mj6
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

i am from the north west of england i have done the poole/weymouth to st malo route on the condor fast ferry which is ok

also done plymouth to roscoff years and years ago with two young children

i find it is ok going a bit of a adventure, but coming home is hard work because all you want is to be home

we have driven home through the night also stopped in hotels

the last couple of times we have been to either the brittany or the vendee we have flown and hired a car it might be worth checking the price to fly we have used flybe

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

We have found that the best way to make this trip is to take a cabin on the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo. That allows you to plenty of time for the drive to the Vendee, and to check into your accommodation after 4:00pm.

For the return journey the late afternoon ferry from Caen to Portsmouth works best because, again, you have plenty of time for the drive from the Vendee. You get back to Portsmouth at about 9:00pm, which means you can be home by midnight.

D B
Derby
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Many thanks for your feedback. Just checking with brit ferrys and all booked up on the weekend overnight crossing if you want a cabin. I will need to check with some other holiday companies to see if we can book a midweek to midweek stay but wanted to use siblu. Any one know of a company ??

England
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

If you are going out of the main school summer holidays ( spring bank half term, for example) Wake Up in France.co.uk take midweek - midweek bookings.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Try

http://www.matthewsfrance.co.uk

or

http://www.vacansoleil.co.uk

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Hi, we live near to Derby and travelled to Jard Sur Mer last year, which is further down the coast. We did the Portsmouth-Caen crossing return with Brittany Ferries. We have just booked for St. Jean de Monts this year with the same crossing, going overnight on the way out so that we have all day to drive down. The route via Avranches, Rennes and Nantes is good - we came back in the opposite direction last year and it did not have any tolls, but the route via Le Mans and Angers can be quite pricey when taking tolls into account.

Looking forward to some better weather this year though - we copped for 2 weeks rain last year!

Clacton-on-Sea...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get a car to western france

Hi..

We ha ve driven to the vendee for the past 6 years..normally go on the fast ferry from poole/portsmouth to cherbourg (about 2 1/4 hour crossing) then the drive from cherbourg is about 4 and a half 5 hours with No tolls....if you book your holiday through a company ( weve been with vacansoliel,mathews,charles alexander and french life) they subsidise the crossing so it works out about 200 pound return..which is about half the price if you book direct with the ferry company .last year we drove from calais to st jean de mont (about 7 hours without stopping) was a good drive but the tolls were about 65 pound each way. The fast ferry time from cherbourg is about 7 in the morning which is about the right time if you want to arrive there in good time...we always book a travelodge in bournemouth which is not to far from poole.... Hope this helps...please mail me if you have any questions..i might be able to help....Thanks Andy..What site are you going to..?

Edited: 2:27 pm, April 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Jean-de-Monts