We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

London, England
Level Contributor
8,481 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

Thanks to all the useful information on TA I knew that as a disabled traveller it would be difficult for me to actually go up onto the Mont. However, I wanted to see it anyway. We are staying near Arromanches, so the journey by car took us about 2 hours, but the journey is through some beautiful, green, lush countryside.

On arrival, we followed the signposts to the car park. I told one of the helpers that we wanted the disabled car park, but he directed us miles away. I decided to drive around again and saw that disabled parking was on the left, whereas we had been directed to the right.

I had taken my mobility scooter with me and the shuttle bus from the car park was accessible. There was a ramp on the bus which they lowered for me to get on and off. The bus departs about 100metres flat walk from where we had parked the car. However, where we were dropped near to the Mont would be around 700 metres to walk to get onto the Mont. I was fine as I had my scooter, but for anyone on sticks or crutches may find it a long way

I would have been able to get up to the first level where there are shops, but the ramp to get on to the walkway was extremely steep.. Even those with baby buggies were having problems with it. My partner said he would take my scooter down the ramp whilst I walked down the steps, but as it was crowded I decided not to bother.

I was surprised at the amount of building work being carried out and we may return in about five years time when it may all be finished.

On the way back to the car we got off the bus at the supermarket, which was all fully accessible and then walked back to where we had parked the car. We were quite surprised at the cost of 12 Euros for parking. often disabled parkin is free in many attractions throughout Europe.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

Thanks for posting your experience; very useful for other travellers.

Reno NV
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

Would I be able to use a wheelchair? Are the walkways all cobbelstones?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

The narrow "street" up to the abbey precincts is steep, and the final climb is just stairs. Lots of stairs. You could try going up the ramparts route, accessed from near the post office, but the Mont really isn't disability-friendly at all. The body-to-body crowds don't help either.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,481 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

four11s

I had a mobility scooter with me and there was a ramp up to the first level where the shops are. I watched young Mums and Dads with baby buggies on the ramp which was very steep and they were struggling.

My partner said he would take the scooter down the ramp and I could walk down the few steps. I decided it was probably too much hassle. Yes, as already said there were also a lot of people and the walkway after the ramp wasn't very wide. We went in the afternoon as many tour coaches were leaving. Also, it was this week (June). Can't imagine what it must be like in July and August. My partner went onto the Mont and took pictures. The drive there was also worthwhile as the countryside is beautiful.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

and yes -- the walkways are all stones.

6. Re: Disabled Traveller to Mont St Michel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 09, 2014