We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

Bethel Park
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

I have spent several hours reviewing the posts about MSM but I still need to ask...would you recommend overnighting in MSM or leaving the Mont in the evening and heading to Ponterson or to a hotel at the end of the causeway that some people mentioned. What is the area called at the end of the causeway?

We will be there May 4.

Thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

Thanks appreciate your info I had thought about that hotel or Le Mouton Blanc which also looks good

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

If I remember correcty Mouton Blanc is the one next to it which belongs to the same people as Auberge Saint-Pierre, right? If so (I am writing from my cell phone so I can't check) the rooms there are really charming and odd-shaped and atmospheric but there is a spiral staircase which precludes visitors with large luggage from going up the stairs so it's something to consider when you pack. The reception is at Auberge Saint-Pierre for both hotels, on the first floor (2nd floor for Americans).

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

One advantage of the shuttle system is that you can stay in a hotel off the mount (mercure, relais saint michel, relais du roy, hotel vert) park next ho your hotel and get tgo the "island"at any time to be there when the tourists have gone, and see the mount from the mainland lit up.

The shuttle runs till 1 am.

Edited: 11:43 am, March 30, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

Just looked at your facebook photos and they are wonderful. I note you were there in September 2010; was it really busy (full of people) during the day? In your photos it looks quite peaceful and empty but I'm assuming that's because either the tourists are gone for the day or not yet arrived for the day. We are thinking of November/December and I thought by then it would be really less touristy. Oh and I love your suggestion for a hotel on the Mont. It all looks quite magical. Regards

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

We were there in late September and arrived at the end of the day after the tourists had gone. We visited the abbey first thing next morning and left before the large crowds of tourists had arrived. You won't be dealing with large crowds in November and December but there will always be some tourists there during the day.

Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

Your photos are just wonderful and entirely changed my mond and my itinerary. Love the idea of arriving late in the day and seeing it the next morning. Thank-you for sharing them, we will be there at the same time of the year

Oregon coast
Level Contributor
561 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

So if we are staying on the Mont, we need a ticket to visit the Abbey itself?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

"So if we are staying on the Mont, we need a ticket to visit the Abbey itself?" - Yes. Mont Saint-Michel is a village, not an attraction, so you don't pay admission just to enter the Mont. You pay entrance fees only for the abbey and any of the few museums you may wish to visit.

ot-montsaintmichel.com/en/visite-mont-saint-…

19. Re: Do you recommend overnight in Mont St Michel or Ponterson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2014