We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

My knowledge of Mont-St-Michel is pretty much limited to what I've read on this forum and a poster of it that I've had for years. I'm going to be in France in mid-November this year, and I'd really like to visit. What I've been thinking about doing is renting a car in Chartres and driving to Mont-St-Michel, which would get me there around early evening and in time to see the high tide (according to the November schedule on ot-montsaintmichel.com). I don't know if I'd stay on the Mont or just in the surrounding area, but I'd like to experience walking around there at night and I definitely want to see it lit up at night. Then my plan is to return the following morning to see the daytime sights like the Abbey. Does this sound like a sensible plan? Are there any painfully obvious problems that I'm just not seeing as a first-time visitor?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

Hi there

We drove to Mont St Michel last year and had a very comfortable stay at The Mercure - handy as it has parking.

Kind Regards

Level Contributor
29,418 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

Daylength in November will be very short. By early evening it may well be dark already. If so, then you won't necessarily see the 'high tide'.

Suggest you check sunrise and sunset times for that particular part of France for the day(s) you will be there...

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

We did something similar in April, but drove from Bayeux to MSM.

We stayed at a B&B about 5 min drive from the Mon (we could see the Mont from the B&B), went over that evening (alas no high tide to see) after all the tourists were gone - it was simply magical to wander around at night.

We then went back the next morning early to tour the Abbey and see it in the daylight - crowds were becoming unbearable by the time we left - about 11:30 a.m. so do get there as early as possible.

The visit was definitely a highlight and going both in the evening and then the morning the best way to visit if you can, even if you don't get to see the tide.

Edited: 10:09 am, July 24, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

Amama- pls can you share the B&B you stayed at. We are planning to do Mont-St-Michel,Rouen & Loire Valley in mid-August. We will be driving from Calais so not sure whether to do MSM first followed by Loire Valley(Angers, Amboise, Orleans, Chatres) or vice-versa.Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

Because arrival at MSM was completely redone this year, you should scan some TA reviews. I'll mention mine because it has a link to the brochure they give out with a map of the immediate area:

I trust you checked the sunset as well as the tide times. Because November is off-season, you might try to find out if they always turn on the lighting at night. We didn't consider it essential to see at low tide or at night, but that's very much a matter of personal taste. I'm sure it's not quite as charming on a cold, windy day, but you may be lucky.

Even though we started from Chinon (i.e. the West side of Tours, while the "big" Chateaux are to the East of Tours), MSM is quite a long drive. There are plenty of places worth seeing along the way, but it's a question of how many days and nights you have in Western France, of course. I'm sorry we didn't see more of Brittany, which is a really big place.

7. Re: 24 (or so) hours at Mont-St-Michel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 11, 2013