We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bikes

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
78 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Bikes

Hi, I been reading that there is an option to hire bikes, but i am wondering is there much parking for bikes on the island and is it easy to get around the island by bike? this would be late afternoon evening of course, not with the crowds in the day.

Thanks

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bikes

Bikes have recently been banned from MSM.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bikes

The island is just a tiny village with stairs and a steep cobble stone main street so even if you could ride your bike to the island you wouldn't be able to ride ON the island.

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
78 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bikes

Thank you for the information.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bikes

Is it an option then to just ride TO the island? Our hotel says they hire bikes, so we were wondering if we could ride over and if there was somewhere safe to leave them while we explore the island, then ride back?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bikes

No, I think they have been banned from the causeway now, too. So it is either a walk across, or take the shuttle I'm afraid.

accueilmontsaintmichel.fr/site/…by-bicycle

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bikes

Thanks EssexWanderer, that's a great link

Simsbury...
Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bikes

Forget biking to or on Mont St. Michel. This would not work at all.

Tewksbury...
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bikes

We recently (May) rode our bicycles to MSM and were able to continue to MSM (had hotel reservations on island) but doubtful they will allow it during busy season. Since we had fully loaded panniers and our bikes were our only form of transportation we did not want to lock them in an unsecured area for overnight. However there are bike racks were you can lock your bikes (right near the shuttle area closest to causeway).

I would assume also that once the shuttle service stops (evening) you should be able to ride your bike down causeway and lock up your bikes near the entrance to MSM.

There are also lockers at the new reception area (near big parking lots) that you can store items for 1 euro.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bikes

Bikes are banned from the causeway, and the shuttles run 24/7:

accueilmontsaintmichel.fr/site/…by-bicycle

<<From 28 April 2012, bicycles will no longer be authorised to cycle on the dyke road.

For security reasons but also because it is not today possible to develop bicycle parking areas at the foot of Mont-Saint-Michel, as this site is protected as a Unesco World Heritage Site. Cyclists are thus invited to leave their bicycles at the bicycle parking areas and proceed on foot or by shuttle.>>

accueilmontsaintmichel.com/site/…by-shuttle

10. Re: Bikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, July 17, 2013