We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels outside the walls

Which Mont-Saint-Michel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
hotels outside the walls

Does anyone stay at those hotels which are 1-2km away from mont st michel?

Would it be too far for me to take pictures of mont st michel at dawn or at sunset?

If I decide to stay at those hotels, is it possible for me to walk to mont st michel?

Is it dangerous?

Thanks

New York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels outside the walls

Just returned yesterday from a one night stay at Relais Saint Michel. It's the closest hotel to the mont which has spectacular views from each room. The second and third floor rooms have the best views if you can get it.

It's a 1 km walk to the mont. After sunset I walked from the hotel along the causeway taking photo's. It's very safe.

In the morning my wife and I checked out early(8:30 am)and drove ( but you can easily walk) the 1 km to the mont. We had a leisurly breakfast at one of the cafe's and then headed up to the Abbey.

We had to wait until 9:30 am. for the Abbey doors to open but enjoyed the time waiting. Every 5 to 10 minutes a person who worked inside would climb the steps and pull out a large key and enter the locked wooden doors. The very freindly French couple we were sharing the top step with would ask each worker before moving aside to let them pass "Do you have an extra big key?" to which we all laughed.

My wife and I spent an hour or so marveling at the beautiful architecture and views once inside. Being the first in we felt almost alone for most of the tour which in itself made the experience even better.

We stopped for a quick coffee on the way down and to take photo's from the walls and finaly left the mont (11am) just as it was getting really crowded.

We had checked in to our hotel late in the afternoon the day before and then walked up to the mont just as the last of the tour buses were leaving. Reading the helpful advice on avoiding the crowds on this forum made me look pretty smart to my wife!. I know you will enjoy your visit as well!