We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being disabled and visiting

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
13 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Being disabled and visiting

Just a comment about being disabled and visiting Mont-St-Michel......

My husband and I visited there last week. It is a trek from the tourist into center to where the shuttle buses pick you up and take you across the causeway to the gates. My husband, who walks with a cane, found it difficult as there were no benches along the way. There is no mode of transport for the disabled except an employee bus that may or may not take you. The tourist info center personnel said that they wouldn't take you unless you had a "card." Our tour leader convinced them to take us back with the bus to the tourist center. We can't be alone with this problem.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Being disabled and visiting

I use a stick, too (and do not have a choice about it), while trying to be as mobile as possibility. Taking the group entrance would be very tempting, but I'd have a hard time doing this without asking if it were okay. Usually, people notice the situation and just invite me to a shorter line. I noticed a man (French - I'd say he was at least ten years older than me) who had a stick with a little seat attached and he used it while waiting in line - everyone was very polite about allowing him to sit for awhile and then move on). There are ways around not being able to stand in line - and we have found France more accommodating than anyplace else in terms of lines and politeness regarding people with canes/sticks standing in them.

Still I'm glad to know that group entrance is there, and when we go, if I feel up to the rest of the journey, I will ask someone and see what they say. (Bet they say "Oui!")

I can walk a fairly long way, but standing - that's another story altogether.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
12. Re: Being disabled and visiting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 15, 2014