My wife and I will be in Paris for 6 days. We are thinking about taking a day trip to Mont St. Michel. I have a few questions in hope that some folks can help.
I have obtained rail passes from raileurpoe.com. My plan is to take the earliest train (6:35am or 7:06am) from Gare Montparnasse to Rennes, which arrives at around 9:00 am. Then take bus to the island. Including lunch, I am planning to spend fours hours in Mont St. Michel, and leave at about 3:00 pm to take bus (hopefully is feasible) to St. Malo. Stay in St. Malo from five to eight. Take train from St. Malo through Rennes back to Paris.
(1) Is four-hour stay in Mont St. Michel enough? Should I plan to spend the entire day on the island and skip St. Malo?
(2) Is it possible to take bus/shuttle one way to Mont St. Michel from Rennes and a different bus to St. Malo? Where can I check the bus schedule?
(3) Should I skip St. Malo and spend the time in Rennes instead?
(4) Is there an easier way to get to Mont St. Michel from Paris on my own (no tours and not driving)?
(5) Should I (or need to) make reservation for the train?
(6) Would you do this trip or a Reims/Epernay or Lyon day trip instead?
Thank you very much for your help.