We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

Sacramento
2 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

My wife and I will be in Paris for 6 days. We are thinking about taking a day trip to Mont St. Michel. I have a few questions in hope that some folks can help.

I have obtained rail passes from raileurpoe.com. My plan is to take the earliest train (6:35am or 7:06am) from Gare Montparnasse to Rennes, which arrives at around 9:00 am. Then take bus to the island. Including lunch, I am planning to spend fours hours in Mont St. Michel, and leave at about 3:00 pm to take bus (hopefully is feasible) to St. Malo. Stay in St. Malo from five to eight. Take train from St. Malo through Rennes back to Paris.

Questions:

(1) Is four-hour stay in Mont St. Michel enough? Should I plan to spend the entire day on the island and skip St. Malo?

(2) Is it possible to take bus/shuttle one way to Mont St. Michel from Rennes and a different bus to St. Malo? Where can I check the bus schedule?

(3) Should I skip St. Malo and spend the time in Rennes instead?

(4) Is there an easier way to get to Mont St. Michel from Paris on my own (no tours and not driving)?

(5) Should I (or need to) make reservation for the train?

(6) Would you do this trip or a Reims/Epernay or Lyon day trip instead?

Thank you very much for your help.

WY

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

4 hours is plenty enough time for Mont St Michel. We rented a car and drove from Paris. I like your plan better. Since we drove the time required to see MSM is about all I can help you with here. You will not regret going to the trouble to see it, it is spectacular!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,699 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

1) I also agree 4 hours is good enough. I hope the bus goes all the way next to the island, otherwise it will be a long walk on the causeway. We went by car.

3) I like St. Malo, and don't regret going there. Don't know what Rennes is like.

5) you are taking the TGV, for which reservation is mandatory. You can get the reservation in Paris (including at the airport) for a lot cheaper than on Eurail.com

6) Mont St. Michel is a lot more interesting then Lyon

hny
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

Very interesting forum, but unfortunately, we didn't find how finally you went from Paris. Is it true we can take 1 train to Rennes + 1 bus to the Mont-St-Michel ?

4. Re: Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:44 pm, February 06, 2007
california
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip From Paris to Mont St. Michel

Hello, please let me how was your trip to MSM? i read your post and have a same question like your too. i have a TGV train ticket and want to go to MSM on my own.

Please reply, i will go to France this June.

Thank you,

Hang Doan