We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

evening in mont st michel ??

miami
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
evening in mont st michel ??

I will be travelling around june 16th 2008 for either one day trip or one overnite to MSM, with a 15& 17 year old.

What time do the restaurants and shops close and open

I'm concerned about a lenghty evening and the teenagers not finding anything to do.....

any feedback would be great

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: evening in mont st michel ??

We were there last June. The restaurants were open still at 8pm, don't know when they started to close. Most of the shops and museums closed around 5 or 6. But there were one or two shops open later, though I can't remember for sure how late, maybe 8? and that was enough for us.

We toured the abbaye, (don't go any later than 5pm) listened to vespers in the cathedral, shopped, ate, wandered the ramparts, watched the sunset, walked out onto the causeway to see the mont at night all lit up. I had an 18 year old and he was never bored.

miami
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: evening in mont st michel ??

kbecjeans: thanks for the reply. did you stay on the island? I saw a posting on bats flying around and not being able to open windows in rooms? Since there is no a/c is that a problem? Also my kids are not to adventurous when it comes to eating , can i find a steak /fries or croque monsieurs ?thanks

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: evening in mont st michel ??

I'm interested to know why kbecjeans says not to go any later than 5pm.

At the time you are anticipating visiting MSM it will be light til 11pm. Between 10am and 5pm the place is packed and I MEAN PACKED with bus tours. If you are staying not too far away the BEST time to go is around 5pm.

We have had many people stay at our B&B who have gone there late afternoon in May/June and said it was magical, there is often music playing in the abbaye between 6 and 8pm in the summer months and you have lost most of the crowds.

I wouldn't stay on the island unless you have been given a particularly good recommendation it can be pretty expensive. Shops in France usually stay open til about 6 or 7pm. Restaurants will probably take last orders at around 8.30ish. Again, I would find somewhere OFF the island to eat. For 15 and 17 year olds I'd recommend staying in St Malo, loads of shops (open til 8pm) and restaurants open til about 10pm for orders and it's only about 30 minutes from MSM.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: evening in mont st michel ??

"I'm interested to know why kbecjeans says not to go any later than 5pm."

Don't plan on getting into the Abbaye any later that 5pm for a tour because they close at 6pm and you will need at least an hour to see the abbaye.

I certainly did not intend to say don't go to the mont after 5pm, just the abbaye. We loved wandering the mont afterwards and stayed on the north tower for sunset till 11pm (in mid-June) before it finally sunk below the waves....

yes, enjoy the evening on the mont, but unless they have special night time tours (which I could find no information about even while there), then if you want to see the abbaye get there no later than 5pm.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: evening in mont st michel ??

Sorry, just read the entire post and will concur as well with the music.

Vespers started at 6pm. They have vespers every night as long as they have people there to ....um perform is the wrong word...but anyway they are volunteers, nuns and monks of some order that is temporarily assigned there to provide a spiritual presence in the abbaye.

After our hour long tour we went back to the cathedral and listened to vespers... truly one of the more magical moments in the trip.

My understanding was that you did not have to take a tour to come to vespers. But mid-june and there were perhaps 10 other people there with us. Definitely no crowds.

6. Re: evening in mont st michel ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 17, 2009