We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attractions and shopping

Which Valenciennes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
1 post
Save Topic
attractions and shopping

I am having trouble trying to locate shopping and attractions in Valenciennes - staying at Grand Hotel and needed to know if they are within walking distrance

Thanks

Greater...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attractions and shopping

...and I thought I'm just obtuse!

We're planning a trip in 2009 and Valenciennes will be en route, but is it worthwhile scheduling a stopover there or does one just stop 'for-a-beer-and-a-burger' and move on.

A little on the origins of the city is available via wikipedia but apart from that very little is to be found re attractions.

Advice and reviews of the city is welcome.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attractions and shopping

The main event in Valenciennes seems to be a 1000 years commemoration of Saint Cordon that ends in September 2009.

Other recent highlights have been organised visits to the Cemetery St Roche, L'Arte en Ville and the Tramway.

Have you tried ringing the Tourist Office, tel +33 3 27462299, who may be able to enlighten you on anything else of note in the area?

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: attractions and shopping

For a town of this size Valenciennes has the most amazing Art Gallery and museum; several very large Rubens; Wattaeus (he was from there) and other old masters. Well worth a visit. Some days it is free but usually costs E6.

4. Re: attractions and shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, November 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Valenciennes