We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

I have read the forums but still confused with trying to book on the Spanish sites. Can someone please help me with the best trains to take to get from San Sebastian to Tarbes by 6pm on July 4th?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

6 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

From San Sebastian you will need to take the Euskotren (local commuter train) to Hendaye, France. This will take about 40 minutes. This will leave you across the parking lot from the Hendaye train station where you can get a train to Tarbes.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

You need to use the SNCF and determine the trains you need to take from Hendaye to Tarbes. A quick search suggests that their is a suitable departure about 13.30 to Bayonne where you can catch another train which will get you to Tarbes before 18.00.

The local train from San Sebastian (called Donastia locally) to Hendaye runs roughly every hour if I remember correctly and there would certainly be departures from Donastia in time to connect with the above train from Hendaye.

Make sure that you go to the correct station in Donastia, the local Euskotren trains do not leave from the RENFE main line station.

Edited: 3:52 am, May 03, 2014
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

Becasse is correct. The Euskotren trains leave Donostia AMARA station for Hendaye every 30 minutes. The journey takes about 35 minutes.

San Sebastian is called Donostia in the local Basque language. Euskotren and almost everyone else uses that name for the city in preference to the Spanish name San Sebastian.

You don't need reservations between Hendaye and Tarbes via Bayonne but it's a good idea if they are available as they are often busy. Also, you can save money by buying tickets in advance.

I can see these trains available for July 4th, ignoring those very early

0945 change at DAX - these are both TGV and must be reserved.

1245 change at Bayonne and Pau. Reservation required Hendaye - Bayonne

1343 change at Bayonne reservation recommended

1445 change at Dax reservation compulsory

1626 change at Bayonne, local trains no reservations and no discount for advance purchase

1656 direct reservation highly recommended

1722 change at Bayonne. No reservations to Bayonne, highly recommended Bayonne - Tarbes

If you are a French speaker buy your French tickets at www..voyages-sncf.com using the French version and not any redirection! If not use www,capitainetrain.com which is in English but has exactly the same fares as the 'official' site.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 4:17 am, May 03, 2014
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

Sorry some extra characters sneaked in there.

www.voyages-sncf.com

www.capitainetrain.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

Thank you so much!! This has saved me a great deal of agony :)

Best,

Alexis

Marciac, France
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th

Hi Alexis

I see that you now have your information! BUT we would need to meet you earlier in the day. Our rendez vous is at 17h00 in the other direction. Friday 11thJuly for a departure is also complicated as we have a date at 09h00. I guess the alternative is to change the day or spend a night in a hotel at Tarbes?

I will continue on the Work....site.

We actually have a comparatively clear diary except for those two dates.

Hope it works out. J

Reply to: San Sebastian to Tarbes on July 4th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tarbes
More Tarbes Topics