We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

OK. I'm taking a deep sigh here and I need your help. Really.

We travel to France annually. We always take one part of our trip to stay in Paris with family then we head off to the South in the Cannes area. We love the beach and love that area.

However, we've been giving serious thought to visiting other areas (especially since my fiance grew up in France). I, myself want to go to Brittany--my Celtic roots are very interested in the Breton way of life! However, he does not like the Atlantic Coast (ironic since we spend our weekends at the New Jersey Shore on the Atlantic).

He wants to plan a trip to Aveyron. I would like to go as well, but I"m being a little..um...stubborn in my wanting to go to Brittany.

So...with a little convincing, I think I may be swayed into going to the Aveyron area. I would love to visit the chateaus there..and the villages seem so nice and cozy and just bucolic and pretty.

So my question is...what makes you want to be in Aveyron?

Thanking you in advance, I'm eagerly anticipating responses!

5 replies to this topic
Rodez
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

Hello!

In Aveyron, it is traditional France that you will find. It is not just the home of Roquefort cheese, Millau Viaduct and Laguiole knife. It is also home of numerous picturesque villages such as Belcastel or La Couvertoirade. Conques is another picturesque village that was built around the UNESCO listed Ste Foy Abbey, which is on the Santiago de Compostella trail.

Talking about UNESCO, it recently listed the Causses and the Cevennes on its World heritage list.

Aveyron landscape is very varied from the lush green north to the drier almost mediterranean south. They all form great places to enjoy outdoor activities from walking to canoeing and much more!

Finally, if you like traditional food and discovering new tastes, Aveyron is definitely where you need to go!

I'm not sure this answers your question but follow this link and maybe you will be convinced...

http://www.tourisme-aveyron.com/index-en.php

To sum up, quiet holidays far from mass tourism crowds, good food, nature, friendly people and beautiful landscapes makes you want to be in Aveyron.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

You'll find both Brittany and the Aveyron VERY different from Cannes, and it slightly concerns me that you love Cannes so much. You might miss the lights and life in both Brittany and the Aveyron. The climate too will be different (what time of year are you considering?). Both can be windy at times, and the storms that can hit Brittany are legendary (smugglers knew the risks - sometimes ...). And keen sailors love Brittany.

Both areas are beautiful in their own ways. A lot of the Aveyron is what the French call 'la France Profonde' - deepest France. We have stayed near Severac le Chateau and enjoyed visiting the Gorges. We have also visited the Millau viaduct (just fabulous!) and some of the ancient and rather mysterious villages - La Couvertoirade is probably the most stunning of these. But be prepared for a much simpler life than in Cannes.

So, I'm not going to try and convince you either way. But since you come every year why not solve this little marital difference by trying one of the two areas this year, and the other next year. Draw lots if it helps. Voila, problem solved ... ;-)

Enjoy your stay wherever you decide on.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

Thank you, Celestina for your reply. It is greatly appreciated. I know my fascination with Brittany is what it is--LOL. I'm used to great storms b/c here in the Northeast of the United States, we get some real doozies of hurricanes. We had one a week ago, Irene, and she wreaked havoc. Now, I'm looking out my office window and the rain is steady and we are due for another possible hurricane. Storms kinda don't bother me.

I do like your solution for trying the Aveyron area one year and Brittany the next!

Thanks so much!

Cathe

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

Hi! I had a very happy holiday in the Aveyron a few years ago and I have to say it is my favourite area of France. There are so many beautiful towns to visit and I think it is better than the Dordogne which has been overrun with Brits and is too perfect in some ways. I would thoroughly recommend it!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron

The Aveyron is where I would choose to live out of anywhere else in France. What more needs saying?

Reply to: Please Convince Me to Want to Visit Aveyron
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted