We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire at brive airport?

Chester, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
car hire at brive airport?

can anyone help? we are trying to hire a car at brive airport and it is proving impossible. the car hire company only opens for half an hour a day and this does not coincide with the flight time from manchester! How is it possible to have an international airport and no real car hire?????? jo

PRESTON
Level Contributor
70 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: car hire at brive airport?

Are you sure that avis are picking you up from the right airport as the girl I spoke to told me that Brive Laroche is the same airport as the newer one ,so I would be grateful if someone could tell me for sure that it is the new airport.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: car hire at brive airport?

Brive-La-Roche (45°08' 59" N: 01°28' 28" E) and Brive-Vallée-de-la-Dordogne (45° 02' 28" N: 01° 28' 59" E) are different airports. The former is a few km west of Brive, no longer has any commercial flights and I think is scheduled for closure. If I am not mistaken the new airport has assumed the IATA designation for B-L-R, namely BVE, which might be causing some confusion. The new airport is 15-20 km south of Brive-la-Gaillarde and between it and Souillac.

I cannot imagine anyone would make a mistake but you might check again just to be doubly sure and perhaps ask to speak to somebody who has the actual co-ordinates of the new airport or at least knows its location.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: car hire at brive airport?

I checked this with Avis when my booking confirmation came through. They assured me it was the correct airport. The new airport is indeed using the BVE airport code of the old one. I am in their hands!! Booking confirmation does show the address as Nespouls which is where the new airport is located so it would appear to be fine.

Gennadi, Greece
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: car hire at brive airport?

all the major hire car companies are now showing availabilty from Brive Airport on a Saturday evening. Avis appear to be the cheapest and are open beween 17.00 and 19.00

Lancashire
Level Contributor
95 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: car hire at brive airport?

We have the same problem....no car hire (outside of very limited hours).

Has anybody taken car hire from Brive and how did they do it?

This just seems crazy!!

PRESTON
Level Contributor
70 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: car hire at brive airport?

We flew with Jet2 from Manchester in June and had problems getting a car because we wanted a large car for 7 people, but we spoke to a lady at Hertz who sorted it all for us. If you are only getting there at 18.55 like we did , it wasn't a problem as all the car hire companies had reps at the airport ( airport not big enough for you to just turn up and get a car) . If this is your flight and you are going self catering you need to have a meal on the flight or you will have to find a restaurant when you arrive because there are no supermarkets or shops open on Sat night and only the odd supermarket open on Sunday from 9 to 12. Have a good time I'm really envious ,I wish I was back there . If you need any more info send me a PM

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: car hire at brive airport?

This is quite an amazing saga, but even those of us who consider ourselves "francophiles," have to admit that France is France and Anglo-Saxons just have to get over it! Each of us has some such amazing, and to our minds, unreasonable story about la vie en France. Go have another glass of wine! ;-)

Edited: 7:09 pm, January 31, 2012
Ilkley
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: car hire at brive airport?

Jet2 have pulled the route to Brive, so no more car hire nightmares. But it did all work out ok in the end, plus plenty of fine wine was consumed summer 2011 in the Dordogne. Our plan was to use this route again this summer, and visit the Limousin - but had to change our plans and holiday booking when I discovered there were no flights to Brive. Hey ho, I think the Vendee is a mighty fine second choice. Happy holidays everyone.

England
5 posts
Save Reply
59. Re: car hire at brive airport?

Hello,

Are any car hire places open at Brive airport on a Sunday?

I've read this forum, spotted that its tricky to get a car and thought someone with local recent knowledge might be able to help.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: car hire at brive airport?

Try Hertz or holiday autos.