We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

I prefer my pools nice and warm!

Are unheated pools a bit nippy in the last week of august? And am I right in thinking the weather can be a little more unpredictable at that time of year?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

"Are unheated pools a bit nippy in the last week of august? "

No, they are at their warmest.after 2 summer months.

"am I right in thinking the weather can be a little more unpredictable at that time of year?"

No, you are not right. There may be a storm or two but it clears up very quickly.

Edited: 12:41 pm, January 28, 2013
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

Provided they are not shaded, most outdoor pools are 30C in August ...

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

Hi,

Thank you (belatedly, sorry) for the replies, have decided to be brave and go for unheated pool option. My reckoning is that if we hit bad weather we probably won't be swimming in the rain anyway!!

Ventenac-en-Minervoi...
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

We have a pool and even in August (where we have high 30s/low 40s most days) it would get quite cool were it not for the summer cover we use. This is made with light canvas with air trapped inside - bit like high-tech bubble-wrap. It goes on at night, comes off in the morning, and it keeps the pool at 30+. Without it, the temperature can drop to around 25.

If you are renting a place, maybe check with the owners whether they have a summer cover ("bache d'été" in French). It's quite likely, because they are pretty cheap compared with the cost of heating a pool.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

My pool without a cover stays around 30C.

Guess it depends where you are, what altitude, exposure to wind and sun, the colour of the pool etc. ?

Edited: 4:30 pm, February 12, 2013
6. Re: unheated pools - still ok at end of august ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 14, 2014