We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

argeles sur mer

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
150 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
argeles sur mer

thinking of going to la sirene campsite in argeles sur mer this july and was just wondering if anyone had been there. would welcome opinions and suggestions for other sites also.

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: argeles sur mer

Argeles will be very busy at that time and the coast road can be fairly congested.

Have a look at La Brasilia in Canet:

http://www.brasilia.fr/uk/index.php

Really superb site that is run with pride by it's owner. Have stayed here many times and would recommended it without reservation.

No road between beach and Canet has easy access to Perpignan and then good links out from there if you are not hiring a car.

Canet is a bit quieter as well.

Don't know the other site so perhaps someone else can help you with that.

Neal

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: argeles sur mer

I own half a mobile home at a different site about 1.5km from L:a Sirene, a bit further inland.

A lot of people think Argeles is like Blackpool! Search previous Argeles threads for many comments!

La Sirene is about 1km from the beach. I haven't been there (but have been past it) There is a network of those tourist train thingys that run from 9am to midnight connecting most of campsites to the sites to the beaches and town/resort areas. Some campsites (mine does) offer free rides during July and August provided you have the bracelet!

There is a large Carrefour hypermarket about 1.5 km away for big shopping; I find the campsite shops in general to be expensive and not very well stocked.

There is a lot of useful information at http://www.argeles-sur-mer.com/ in various languages.

The beaches are wide but the sand is a bit grey and gritty in places; but that seems to be normal for that part of the world.

The roads are busy and parking is very difficult close to the beaches. I hired a bike (don't drive) and as the area is flat no problems except for that there are few cycle trails as such!

It was a bit windy when I was last there; the Pyrenees mountains are only a few miles away but also if you have a car a nice area to visit I would guess.

I did visit Canet (nice ride) and it does look quite a nice area as well. I chose Argeles as it has a railway station therefore access for me is not too much of a problem.

Hope that helps a bit.

North Yorks
Level Contributor
37 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: argeles sur mer

Hi - I might be a bit late with this post...but we went to Camping La Sirene at end July 2007. We have 3 children - all girls - and at the time of the holiday they were 9, 10 and 12.

We had a fantastic time at La Sirene - the campsite was really nice - although it is very large! There was a bit of noise fairly late at night, but it wasn't really a massive problem, I suppose it's just the luck of the draw who you are pitched next to.

We stayed in a 'luxury' Keycamp mobile home. Luxury it certainly wasn't and the staff were rubbish. Rude and arrogant and couldn't care less. However, please don't let that put you off the site - it's great and some friends had a fantastic mobile home with FrenchLife (I think). We'll definitely return to the same site and the kids can't wait.

Hope this helps! Just avoid Keycamp...! Please feel free to contact me if you want any further info.

Naas, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: argeles sur mer

Stayed at La Sirene in July 2005 with 3 children, oldest aged 8. Have to say that we had an excellent time. Although the site is busy their facilities are good. Generally stayed on the site, only travelled into the beach late afternoon/early evening when quiet. In the region a cool wind blows from the Pyrenees which is great when the temps are 30+. On the few days that the temp was 28 or under it spoiled the pool for the children.

In Argeles there is a sister camp of La Sirene, the Bois de Valmarie, which is smaller and closer to the coast and also comes highly recommended.

Also there are some great places to visit from this area depending on your interests, Coullieres, Barcelona and for the brave Andorra.

I have been to different sites before and since and all have been very good and La Sirene is up there with them.

Bog Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: argeles sur mer

Top class campsite. Been here for 5years having eperienced others. V well Organised foot etc for kids beach huge about km. need car to get to villages. mini market but better value/choice in nearby outlets esp wine, fruit.weather almost guaranteed.

Surrey
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: argeles sur mer

Have been travelling with Keycamp for years now. You must have been unlucky. Always found them helpful when needed and non intrusive when not (which is most of the time on our holidays) Particularly helpful the year the car broke down.

We stayed at Hippocamp opposite La Sirene. Can use the facilities at La Sirene but away from the hubub.

7. Re: argeles sur mer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Argeles-sur-Mer