We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no car - will it be a nightmare

Which Compiegne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
no car - will it be a nightmare

we are looking to book the campsite for july but really don't want to drive. will this be a bad move. Am planning on spending a few days in paris before coming to the site. cannot quite work out how far the nearest train station would be. any advise gratefully received. thanks

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

Good Morning

You're right, to get there with no car, will, in my opinion, be a nightmare. Even more of one if you are travelling with children

The nearest train station for a regualr service is Soissons or Compiegne (the actual nearest is Villers Coterets but no idea how regular a service the trains offer). However, I can't offer directions etc unless I know what airport you are coming from. If it's CDG, it is at least 2 trains then an expensive taxi from the station.

Keycamp used to offer transfers at a cost of around €300 return

But, once you get there, it's great. There are organised coach trips to both Paris and DLP and there is a supermarket within walking distance of the site for buying supplies

Can I ask why you don't want to drive?

Edited: 1:14 am, May 30, 2012
yorkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

worried about driving in france but also going to paris first so am getting the eurostar and not the ferry, we are travelling with two children so the nightmare sounds worse !!! my husband is also not confident driving abroad but have read other posts that say it is easy in france .

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

Oh it is so easy to drive in France, so much quieter on the motorways for a start. Take it from someone who was very worried about driving in France just how easy and OK it is.

It can be a littler unnerving doing town driving but you get used to going the 'wrong way' very quickly :)

Eurostar stops in Gare du Nord International which makes things slightly easier than if you fly, but, would I use the train to get to LCDVP? No, not in a million years and I only have 1 child :)

If you have or at least can borrow, a satnav with European maps, I really would recommend driving. RAC and the AA also give good directions although I prefer drivealive.co.uk for European driving directions

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

Millions of tourists from left hand drive countries drive in Great Britain every year without major problems. Who knows how many hundred thousand Brits drive their cars on the continent each year without incident?

But if you really don't want to drive what about finding accommodation in a chambre d'hote (B&B) or gite (self catering house rental) in a small town with rail access? Much better than being stranded with no wheels in a rural campground.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

This will give an idea of cost for a car

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Includes toll costs and petrol

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

Its really easy driving in France, don't worry about being on the wrong side just follow the others ;-) I find the drive on the other side far more relaxing than the drive to Folkestone for the shuttle.

Another point is that without the car you'll be very restricted to what you can take for the children & what you can bring back for yourself.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

One other suggestion if you haven't already booked somewhere in Paris & were prepared to drive is have a look at the International site in Paris, its available through Keycamp etc as is LCDVP. We stayed there for a couple of days quite a few years ago & its good for access into Paris but not too bad to drive to.

It really is a doddle driving in France & well worth trying at least once. The roads are generally quieter than over here & its a lot more easy going, & most of the drivers are a lot more tolerant than a lot over here.

Edited: 11:38 am, June 12, 2012
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

europcar.com/car-rental-FRANCE-CALAIS.html

Just adding this for anyone who want car hire

Collection points across France

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

"One other suggestion if you haven't already booked somewhere in Paris & were prepared to drive is have a look at the International site in Paris,"

Coming back in here late in the year lol, but International is probably the best option for holiday makers who decide they don't want to drive

15 mins from the train station walking so cheap taxi fare if you use a taxi

Once there, the train will take you directly to Paris and/or DLP.

The town of Maison Laffitte has excellent facilities and is very Parisienne if you'd like to soak up some atmosphere.

Edited: 3:20 am, November 10, 2012
10. Re: no car - will it be a nightmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 15, 2013