We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains to Macon

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Trains to Macon

Hello,

I'm looking at train schedules from Lyon and I notice they all mention "Macon Centre" as the destination for both TER and TGV trains. I am taking a bus which I can board from either Mâcon – Gare SNCF, Charnay-lès-Mâcon – Gare, or Mâcon Loché – Gare TGV but I'm confused by the arriving station of these trains.

Hopefully, if I'm not wrong, the TER train arrives at the SNCF station while TGV arrives at the TGV station.

By the way, I know TER fares are fixed but are TGV fares for Lyon-Macon fixed as well (seems the standard online price is 18EUR)? (apart from the Loisir advance booking ones)

8 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains to Macon

Just to clarify, if the TGV fare is fixed then I'll buy on day instead of online (same as TER).

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains to Macon

TGV fares tend to be more expensive the nearer you get to the date of travel.

Charnay-les-Macon and Loche are suburbs of Macon.

I imagine you would want to arrive in Macon-Centre.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains to Macon

Actually, my final destination isn't Macon.

Just wanted to make sure that TER trains go to Macon Centre (= Macon Ville?) and TGV trains go to Loche?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains to Macon

(Instead of just "Macon Centre" for both TER and TGV as the SNCF website says)

Right now the journeys I'm looking at on TGV are all "PRO", which I suppose is the maximum full-fare - so I guess there's no point booking online in case I miss it?

Edited: 2:47 pm, May 22, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains to Macon

Where in Lyon are you departing from? Lyon Part Dieu, Lyon Perrache or Lyon St.Exupery (airport)?

I have just done a "dummy" run and selected a date at random. A journey from Lyon St.Exupery will arrive in Macon-Loche station via TGV train whereas a journey from Lyon Part Dieu or Lyon Perrache will arrive in Macon Ville.

The arrival station in Macon will depend on where you start your journey from in Lyon.

If you are looking for more specific (and experienced) advice, I suggest you post your question on the separate Train Travel Forum.

Edited: 4:02 pm, May 23, 2014
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains to Macon

Hi, I'm going to start my journey in downtown Lyon, so either Perrache or Part Dieu is ok.

Just tried a dummy booking as well and I see what you mean by the TGV trains from Lyon St. Exupery Airport arriving at Macon Loche TGV. For trains from Part Dieu (TER and TGV), they all show arriving at "Macon Centre".

I guess this bit from Wikitravel just adds to the confusion:

"There are two train stations: -Mâcon Loché TGV: about 10 km outside of town. This is the station to get off (or on) a TGV from (or to) Marseille, Lyon and Paris. -Mâcon ville: in center of town for local trains, to Lyon, Dijon, and Bourg-en-Bresse."

:\

Edited: 2:57 pm, May 24, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains to Macon

Wikitravel and Wikipedia are useful but not always totally reliable sites. Your example demonstrates this.

I believe it is possible for anyone to contribute to or amend the information found there.

In my opinion, it is always best to use the SNCF (or similar) website for accurate information.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains to Macon

Wikipedia is in fact completely correct in this case. But it is speaking generally about what most trains do, not about the odd exception.

So yes, TER trains go to Macon Centre = Macon Ville and if TGV trains stop at Macon, they will call at Loche TGV (many do not stop at all). This is because Loche TGV station is located on the high speed line which skirts around Macon, so most TGVs to and from Paris and Lyon need to use that line, and don't want to go through the centre of Macon.

Reply to: Trains to Macon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Macon