We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalon sur Saone for a week?

Balmain, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Chalon sur Saone for a week?

Our family is considering a 1 week stay in Chalon s Saone. We would like rural views, local food markets, a choice of places to eat and a location that is quiet and relaxing. We have young children so we would spend the most time in CsS itself and do not plan to do many day trips.

How does CsS compare to places like Bordeuax, Beaune, Saumur or Scarlat le Caneda? Is it a commerce-city like Bordeux or a tourist city like Orleans?

Would love to hear about your experiences in the city and any other locations in Burgundy/Loire that you recommend. Thank you!

Quai des Messageries
Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Piers & Boardwalks
musee Denon
Specialty Museums
Beaune, France
Level Contributor
451 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalon sur Saone for a week?

Chalon sur Saone is a lovely town but not sure I would recommend it for a weeks stay. I live exactly halfway between Chalon and Beaune and if I need to serious shopping, (furniture, lawn mowers that kind of stuff) it's Chalon I go to as it is a proper town. So, not like Orleans and not as pretty as Bordeaux.

What about staying in one of the wine villages or near the canal, have a look at some of the gites here www.lerouxlets.com

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalon sur Saone for a week?

I agree with Burgundy Guide. We quite like Chalon having spent a couple of weeks in the area . In 2006 we rented a gite near Givry and in 2010 we had a gite near Cormatin. So not exactly in Chalon, but we visited on both occasions.

Chalon has some attractive buildings in the old section and a very good market on Friday and Sunday. Having said that, perhaps a week with children may be too long. We actually prefer being out of large centres and stay in a more rural location and do day trips. But as you say you do not want to day trips, I cannot help with activities to keep children amused. We are a late fifties couple, so long past that!!! I could suggest day trips south to Cluny, the lovely cathedral at Tornuus, a climb up the Roche de Solutre, some wonderful old villages e.g. Brancion, Chapaize, perhaps go cycling along the Voie Verte [old railway path dedicated for cycling]. From Chalon you could visit Autun and up into the Morvan national park. We also drove over into the Jura with its waterfalls and reculee [dead end valleys].

So it is a good base with all facilities if you want to get out a bit. But it is not a village with rural views. Good luck with your research.

Balmain, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalon sur Saone for a week?

Thank you for your responses. And I'm pleased to hear from a local!

The house we're looking to rent is near the village of Lans, so not in the town per se. It also looks like we'll be a bit more mobile and day trips are back on the cards, so if the area is central to sights, I think we'll book it.

Can you recommend places to eat or shop for meals in Chalon?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,861 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalon sur Saone for a week?

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
158 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalon sur Saone for a week?

If you are going to be in Chalon for a week you should try to get to Louhans for their Monday morning market. It is marvelous. Go early .......

6. Re: Chalon sur Saone for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, January 13, 2014