We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Delhi, Delhi, India
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Hello...Bonjour

I am from India and planning a trip to Lisbon and then to Hendaye in the month of June 2013 with my family. Family consists of me 39 yrs old my wife adult 37 years old with two children girl and a boy 4.5 & 1.5 years old respectively.

Can you help me with a decent stay for 2-3 nights in the 2nd or third week of June 2013. Am looking for a budget accommodation and not too far from the train station and beach. Planning for a train journey from Lisbon, then ongoing to Paris from Handaye by train.

Also suggest me the cheapest yet convenient way to reach Paris as well after my stay at endaye. I presume that train is the method but which one and how much will it cost? How to book the same?

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,945 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

On the last question, you can take the train from Hendaye to Paris. There is no fixed price, tickets are released 92 days in advance. There are very cheap tickets at first, which are often non refundable and non exchangeable, when these sell out the prices goes up and up, just like an airline.

You can buy tickets at http://en.voyages-sncf.com/ but choose 'Antarctic' as your ticket collection country to avoid a possible redirection to Rail Europe.

The journey will take about 6 hours, some on High Speed tracks at 180mph.

I cannot help with accommodation. I have passed through Hendaye many times but have never stayed there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Maybe you could stay in San Sebastián, Spain instead? Then you can take the local Euskotren to Hendaye and walk across the parking lot to the train station. The Euskotren takes about 40 minutes from San Sebatian.

To get the best price you should book your TGV tickets right away. You might also check for idTGV tickets for the trip from Hendaye to Paris.

Have you considered looking for a cheap flight from Lisbon to another city with a TGV connection to Paris? The train from Lisbon to Hendaye will eat up a lot of your vacation time. For flight options try www.skyscanner.net

Delhi, Delhi, India
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Hey thanks a ton for the info. Saw San Sebastián as a destination looks beautiful. Is it cheaper than Hendaye to stay?

Actually leaving Lisbon to see Paris thought of staying over at Hendaye as catching the train Sud Express which halts at Hendaye from Lisbon. The charges are around 20-30 euros for the journey per head. That is why the choice of Hendaye as destination, want to see Paris for sure with my wife.

Is there any train connection from Lisbon to San Sebastián direct? then move on to paris from San Sebastián?

also saw the flight options from lisbon to San Sebastián seems very expensive

Edited: 9:07 am, May 20, 2013
Delhi, Delhi, India
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Thanks Cubsur for the post.

Infact have sent you a mail also. Am with friends in Lisbon-Algarve initially for a week. Would request you for your inputs majorly for Accomodation, car rentals in Portugal. Would be gr8 if you could help. thanks in advance. Your profile says destination expert in Algarve.

Await your response eagerly

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Check www.renfe.com for Spanish train information. Crossing the border by train can be tricky, so stopping in San Se may be easier than going on to Hendaye for that leg of the trip.

Sorry, I can't help with the differences in prices between the 2 cities.

I went to San Sebastián last year and took the TGV to Paris from Hendaye too.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family

Hendaye will be cheaper for accommodation but San Sebastian will be cheaper for going out and shopping etc. The area around Hendaye train station isn't so nice and the beach is quite far from the station so you may want to choose San Sebastian instead.

Reply to: Planning a trip to Hendaye in June 2013 with family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted