We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

Hi,

I am wanting to travel from Hendaye to Bilbao on Wednesday or Thursday July 13 or 14.

Just wondering what the options are. Am having trouble finding good information.

I have worked out how to get to Hendaye from Paris via TGV.

Cheers

CK

Mentioned in this post
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Bilbao
Bilbao
Province of Vizcaya, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
TGV
TGV
1,313 Reviews
Paris, France
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,601 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

You could take the train from Hendaya to San Sebastian/Donostia www.euskotren.es then the bus to Bilbao www.alsa.es or ww.pesa.net

Or Paris to Irun then train www.renfe.es to San Sebastian/Donostia

Alsa or Pesa bus to Bilbao

Mentioned in this post
San Sebastian - Donostia
San Sebastian - Donostia
Province of Guipuzcoa, Spain
Bilbao
Bilbao
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,751 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

Or you can take the Euskotren train all the way, changing trains in Donostia. Slow but very cheap and scenic.

Trains run every 30 minutes between Hendaye and Donostia and at least once every hour Donostia - Bilbao.

It's best to change trains at Hendaye as the SNCF and Euskotren stations are adjacent. In Irun they are several minutes walk apart.

Edited: 2:46 am, July 03, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Euskotren
Euskotren
111 Reviews
Hendaye, France
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Bilbao
Bilbao
Irun
Irun
Christchurch, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

Hi there,

I'm catching the train from Paris to Hendaye and then on to Bilbao to meet my sister this November 2013. I was looking at catching the train but as I can't get a good translation for the euskotrain website I'm wondering if this leg of the journey is still running? Or would it be easier to catch the train all the way to Irun and bus to Bilbao?

Any information would be gratefully received. I haven't been to Spain before and I don't want to get stranded/lost :)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Bilbao
Bilbao
Irun
Irun
Spain
Spain
Europe
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,751 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

The Euskotren site is only in Spanish or the Basque language. The line is most certainly still running. Trains leave Hendaye every 30 minutes every day for Donostia (San Sebastian) and from there trains to run to Bilbao at least once every hour.

Euskotren times do not show up on any international sites as they cannot sell you tickets.

You can download theHendaye - Donostia timetable here euskotren.es/sites/…20MD_ENE2013.pdf

and the Donostia - Bilbao timetable here euskotren.es/sites/www2.euskotren.es/files/G…

Be aware that Eusoktren (and everyone else) uses the Basque names for towns where they exist, so it is Hendaia not Hendaye, Donostia for San Sebastian and the station you change trains at is called Amara - Donostia.

These trains are more like trams and although the journey is a bit slow it is for the most part very scenic. And dirt cheap.

As a faster but more expensive alternative, you can take Euskotren to Donostia, walk to the bus station there and take a bus to Bilbao as mentioned above.

Mentioned in this post
Euskotren
Euskotren
111 Reviews
Hendaye, France
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Bilbao
Bilbao
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

The Euskotren between Hendaye and San Sebastian is now called the metrodonostialdea.com/public_home/ctrl_home.…

Mentioned in this post
Euskotren
Euskotren
111 Reviews
Hendaye, France
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
6. Re: Hendaye --> Bilbao, Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, July 10, 2017