We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please for our base

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions please for our base

We will catch a train from Paris to Bordeaux and from there drive to Sarlat. I have been reading many of the suggestions on TA and so we will be spending a week traveling from our base to beaux villages and ancient sites in equal proportions. Although we will have spent 10 days in Paris ( and we love it!) our preferred mode of travel is to enjoy the countryside, picnic and take in the atmosphere. At the moment we expect to be in the area from the 12th or 13th September.

The one place that pretty much ticked all the boxes to stay is booked out. Ideally we would like to be close enough to walk to Sarlat, self cater and visit restaurants. We are not keen on a hotel as it does not enable us to enjoy the freedom of preparing our own food when we want to. Should we sacrifice the idea of a pool ( given the dates) and stay in an apartment in town? I understand that we would need to park away from the town. Any suggestions very welcome.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please for our base

I can';t offer much advice about accommodations in the area as I have a house there, but there aren't many places from which you can walk to Sarlat. Have you looked at the terrain around the area? You will have a car, right?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please for our base

Thank you for your response. We will have a car. We intend hiring it by pre arrangement in Bordeaux.We will need that to drive to all the places we wish to see. A kilometer walk is not an issue for us- if there is a walking path, so that we could walk into town if we wanted to go to a restaurant in the evening or an early morning stroll for a baguette. The question about the pool is relevant to the weather. I have checked temperatures for the area and it seems we are looking ( in general) at temperatures of about 23-24., but...there are no guarantees with the weather anywhere.

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please for our base

Hi ... Just recently returned from a western Europe selfdrive road trip that included Sarlat. We had recommendations of the La Lantern B and B which is in the old city overlooking the lantern and cathedral. Absolutely fabulous, and although at the boutique end of the b&b's we stayed in, was worth it. We had a suite that had a kitchenette/lounge area with a seperate bedroom, bathroom and storage area. Would revisit in a blink and staff were exeptionally welcoming. They also do one of the best breakfasts that we had in over 6 weeks of travelling. Sarlat is an excellent place for day trips to a large number of areas and castles

http://www.sarlat.biz/

Edited: 9:01 pm, November 10, 2013
kle
Boston
Level Contributor
820 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please for our base

I don't remember seeing any walking paths into Sarlat from the surrounding areas. And, the country roads are very windy with not sidewalks and can get very dark at night. So, I would not recommend walking into and out of Sarlat as a good prerequisite for determining a base. Many people have stayed in Sarlat proper and loved it, others have preferred more quiet villages. There are countless self-catering options in the villages around Sarlat and the Dordogne River. Do a little research onto some of them and see what strikes your fancy. We stayed near Montignac (about 20 min. north of Sarlat) and loved it. Montignac was a mid-size town with plenty of eating options and grocery stores but still much smaller than Sarlat. I also remember being rather fond of St. Leon Sur Vezere and St. Genies. Good luck!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please for our base

You really do not want to walk into and out of Sarlat. You'll be on very busy roads with maniacal drivers and bicyclists and no sidewalks and no lights at night. Montignac is a good base. So are Le Bugue, St-Cyprien, Domme, Beynac, and La Roque-Gageac. St-Géniès is absolutely beautiful, as is St-Léon, but they are both teensy, without a lot of dining/shopping, etc. options.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions please for our base

Hi,

Just read this post and it is exactly what we were hoping to do. What did you decide in the end? Did you find somewhere in walking distance with a pool? Did you stay in town? Did you walk into town and were the roads badly lit etc.?

Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions please for our base

It's been made abundantly clear on this thread that walking into Sarlat is a terrible idea. To do anything other than find accommodations elsewhere and drive into and out of Sarlat, or find a hotel or apartment in Sarlat itself, is foolishness. I really doubt the OP ignored the advice here.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions please for our base

St.Cirq: I read eaw62's question slightly differently. I think he/she was merely asking whether the OP found somewhere with a pool that was within walking distance of a town - not necessarily Sarlat.

eaw62: I don't suppose the OP will read the subsequent question or reply and so suggest you send a personal message or post your question as a separate thread. As a matter of fact, I can recommend somewhere in Montignac that may meet your requirements. It has a pool and is certainly within a 5min. walk of the town centre. www.lesgrangesmontignac.com

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions please for our base

Well, in that case there are properties with pool both in and near all of the towns and villages of the Dordogne from which it's possible to walk into town.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions please for our base

We stayed in Sarlat at a lovely self catering apartment right in the old section. We found parking most days a mere block away.

sarlat-en-dordogne.com/verlaine_uk_apartment…

There are other apartments in the same building but they are further up the winding stairs. I know the local agent for these places also has developed further apartments for rent, so it is worthwhile contacting them to see what is available.

We travelled the Dordogne in 2008

Lynn

www.nickbooth.id.au