We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Thank you Sydneynick and F 1 racegirl.

I hope I am on track now!!

I'll post my request again.

My wife and I are hoping to spent 2 weeks in the Sarlat area in September 2014 to do some walking and sightseeing!

We hope to stay in one place and make trips (walking/cycling etc) from there each day.

Any recommendation as to which place would be best, so far we have thought about Sarlat-le-caneda or Les Eyzies .

We will most probable be flying from Vienna, Austria.

Where is the best place to fly to closest to Sarlat?

Are there trains etc to get from the nearest airport to Sarlat?

We are hoping to rent an self contained apartment. Any suggestions?

We would welcome any ideas/ suggestions from anyone who may have done any walking around this area.

What is the weather like in September?

Are there tourist information centres around the area?

Thank you for any information.

Crow97

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Bordeaux or Toulouse are the closest airports -- "close" is a relative term, as either will leave you a few hundred kilometres from Sartlat.

Train connections are slow and irregular.

Bus and local trains are just this side of nonexistent.

There are hundreds of self-catering apartments.

There is a huge tourist information center in Sarlat.

Details for all abound -- try Googling.

You really, REALLY REALLY need a car to visit this area. Really, really, REALLY.

Edited: 6:54 am, October 30, 2013
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,985 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Sarlat would make a good base as it is a small town with all the usual amenities. Les Eyzies is rather remote.

Flying from Vienna you will probably need to go to Bordeaux. There is a small airport closer to Sarlat at Bergerac but I doubt if there is any sensible route from Vienna. There is a third airport near Brive la Gaillard but there is no public transport in the area to take you to Sarlat.

From Bordeaux airport you can take a bus into the city and from there a train runs to Sarlat about once every two hours. Take a look at the current train times at www.voyages-sncf.com but you will need to review that information next September. These are local trains so you do not need to worry about resrvations.

If you were to fly to Bergerac the railway station there is a short taxi ride from the airport and the train from there is about a 2 hour trip to Sarlat. There are no buses at Bergerac airport.

Les Eyzies is very difficult to get to without a car. It has a tiny railway station with only four or five trains each day and no bus service at all.

September weather is usually fairly warm but it can be wet. In fact it ususally rains when I go to the region in August!

Edited: 6:59 am, October 30, 2013
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

You've been given excellent information about getting to Sarlat. Les Eyzies is a terrible choice for lodging, IMO. It's just one long street underneath the cliffs and prehistory museum jammed with schlocky tourist shops. It does have one of the best artisanal boulangeries in the area, but that's only of interest in you live around there. And a couple of good restaurants and an excellent maison de la presse.

Every town of any consequence has a great tourist office, the one in Sarlat obviously being the biggest. They will all have information about walking in the area, including maps. But you should also get yourself the Grandes Randonées maps of the region. Just please do not picnic on my (or anyone else's) roof as so many hikers do! We like to hike on the paths along the rivers near Le Bugue and Les Eyzies and on the bike path over near Groléjac. But there's no shortage of places to walk. Just stay off the "main" roads as much as possible - too many speeding cars and mobs of bicyclists.

Weather in September is usually great, though it can be very hot in the afternoons

But seriously, DO NOT GO unless you plan to rent a car. Just don't.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Sunshine 817

Thank you for your very informative response. Will now take some of the inf. to our travel agent to make our plane reservations and see what's is available. Have you rented any apartments in Sarlat? We are looking for a self contained one in the mid-range cost.

With thanks

Crow97

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Thank you St Cirq

Your response is very helpful.

We have noted the advice on the car rental and appreciate it.

Do you know of any apartments in Sarlat that we can approach for rental in Sept. 2014?

We will stay of roofs. we try to be as respectful as possible to people's generosity to allow us to walk on their property along paths!

With many thank

Will appreciate any local advice you can give us.

Crow97

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Thank you Cubsur

For your very informative and detailed response. With your, Sunshine 817 and Sydneynick advice we should be able to work our way to the area. I hope!

Any other advice will be appreciated

Crow97

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

Sorry, Crow can't help with apartments, as I don't need lodging in the area other than my own bedroom. If you want to stay right in Sarlat and avoid big agency fees, it's always a good idea to check with the tourist office there (or in Les Eyzies or Le Bugue or St-Cyprien, or....) as they often have private listings that are less costly than what the agencies offer (and sometimes more interesting).

I was kind of kidding about the roof, but one of the Grande Randonée routes follows the lane that literally goes up and over the part of my roof that isn't built into the cliffs, and people do show up and sit on it and chomp on their sausages and baguettes and swill wine. It's really obvious they're sitting on top of someone's house - I can''t imagine what motivates them (except there's a nice little wall there). Anyway, I'm sure you'll be most respectful.

Not sure what other advice you need, but feel free to ask questions.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

as above -- there are literally hundreds of rental properties in the region -- but you're the only one who can match up calendar, price, amenities and locations.

The tourist office in Sarlat has a listing service, but just google "self-catering Sarlat" and set aside a week or so to wade through it all.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

We have used the following for self catering rentals all over France.

http://www.abritel.fr/

http://www.gites-de-france.com/

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/

www.frenchconnections.co.uk/en/accommodation

As already said, the tourist websites also have lists of accommodation. Gites de France is an agency and you book through the agency. You can pay by credit card. The others are listing sites and after the initial enquiry, you are put in contact with the owner and deal with them. Payment method is what the owner prefers. We have had no issues at all and are in the process of booking for April - May 2014.

I second the advice to have a car. Not everyone will agree with me, but I feel you need a car to really explore country France.

Good luck.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarlat-la-Caneda and Neighbouring area

I have re-read your post #4 and your reference to your travel agent. I am not sure your travel agent will book self-catering accommodation in Sarlat for you. If that is what you meant. Maybe you only meant flights. We do all our bookings ourselves.

Bon voyage.

Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda