We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarlat, France

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sarlat, France

Happy new year all. Getting in early researching for a visit to Sarlat next DECEMBER! I know, I know...it's new year and I have nothing better to do than sit in air conditioning with the iPad!

Anyway, have read some great info but what would you recommend for me? Will be coming from Oz, probably into Switzerland first then will fly or train from there, from around Bern or Zurich. Question is, which airport if I fly and would it really be worth it for the getting to and from, or will I be just as well with the train? From what I can see, train will be about 10 hrs via Basel but with flight, getting to and from airports etc, might not be much in it.

Will hire a car but probably once I am in Sarlat.

Thanks, comments appreciated.

Pam

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sarlat, France

Well, have to say it was fabulous! Brilliant weather for the entire two weeks and absolutely no problem getting around at all. Very few things closed, other than a few restaurants, there is loads on offer at that time of year. Didn't love the driving but that's just a 'wrong side of the road' thing otherwise it was lovely and you must have a car. Travelled from Toulouse, easy, glad we had the GPS. There were markets, shops, castles, towns, scenery, museums, caves, Christmas songs......and the Sarlat Christmas market started when we were there. And yes, we had the occasional foggy start but it cleared soon enough.

So for all the naysayers out there who say it's the wrong time of year, it really isn't!

We all loved our two weeks there.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sarlat, France

Please remember that the weather has been quite mild this year.

Several inches of snow and ice might colour your opinion -- and snow and ice are not uncommon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sarlat, France

Glad you had a great time baselgirl - I believe we Aussies are quite resilient travellers :).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Sarlat, France

Yep, I agree....I have been there at the same time of the year in the past and had snow and fog. Was still gorgeous though. I know I was lucky with the weather this time but know European summer weather can be lousy too! Very pleased that I didn't chicken out from the original plans.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Sarlat, France

We are in Sarlat now. Stunning. We first came across Sarlat reading Martin Walker's detective series featuring 'Bruno'. Then read his blog with suggested activities for a week, including where to eat, things to do. You could do worse than read these to get a good feel for Sarlat.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sarlat, France

Lucky you! I'm envious! I had such a lovely time back in December, would like to go again in spring or autumn. Have a great visit, and enjoy all the wonderful sights in the area.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Sarlat, France

Some of us live near Sarlat all of the time. A small suggestion; read a blog and follow some of it, but find your own places to eat too. Many places change hands and new places crop up. There is also the factor that what suits one persons taste/budget may not suit anothers.

Far too hot and clammy to be out today around here. We had a tiny amount of rain last night (about 2mm) and that is the first for about 6 weeks. Be prepared for some spectacular thunderstorms over the next few nights.

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Sarlat, France

We don't like the heat or crowds. Wondering if you would recommend early September or early October as being the best time to travel there? What are the pros and cons of each? Thank you.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Sarlat, France

It all depends on the weather at the time. Either are outside peak tourist season; September will be warmer than October, but what that translates to in degrees is anybody's guess.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Sarlat, France

I don't think that the temperatures will be a vague as anybody's guess, that would imply that we could have snow! Average temperatures for any region can be found on the internet and it is sure to be within a few degrees of the average.

Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda